[comp.robotics] Pizzabots

jack@rml.UUCP (jack hagerty) (04/26/91)

In article <RSLAU.91Apr24132134@tarazed.usc.edu> rslau@usc.edu (Robert Lau) writes:
>April issue of Discover, page 12...
>
>excerpt:
>
>  PizzaBot was developed by engineers at Carnegie-Mellon to help disabled
>  people become entrepreneurs. [...]
>
>  The result is a robotic arm placed in front of a semicircular counter,
>  with ingredients and tools within easy reach.  After the disabled
>  manager calls out an order, a simple voice-recognition system decides
>  which of two possible sizes and 12 condiments it just heard. [...]
>
>Article said that K.G. Engelhardt was the head of the engineering team.

Yes, Engelhardt was the primary delveloper of the system. It was shown
on TV on one of those "new technology" shows (Smithsonian or Scientific
American).

My only problem with this is that it is something of a grandstand stunt.
Not that I have anything against rehabilitating the handicapped, but
this particular system reduces the person to a sub-machine role. As you
noted, the person does nothing more than speak into a voice recognition
system which translates commands to the robot. You could just as easily
have the customer place his own order on a touch screen which commands
the robot directly. In fact, a major fast food chain is field testing
just this sort of system.

I found it fascinating that Round Table has parodied this system
in their current commercial with a man-against-robot race.

From a more entertaining direction, Nolan Bushnell (of Chuck E. Cheese
fame) was working with Little Ceasers to develop a robotic pizza
delivery system. I did the mechanical design on these little guys
which turned out pretty well. They looked something like animated
milk cans (for those of you in dairy country) and carried the pizza
in their mid section. They rolled up to a "loading dock" near your
table but you had to pull the pizza and other stuff (salads, drinks,
etc.) out yourself. They also told jokes and did little routines.
Most of the entertainment was done by a sub-species called "showbots"
that had no food compartment but rather a hi-fidelity sound system
in it's place.

Even though the prototypes worked pretty well, both Nolan and Little
Ceaser's had bigger fish to fry, so to speak, and the project died
from inattention.

- Jack

||Jack Hagerty, Robotic Midwives, Ltd.        jack@rml.UUCP (smart mailers)||
||Livermore, CA		       ...!uunet!lll-winken!rml!jack (dumb mailers)||
||(415) 455-1143	   jack%rml@lll-winken.llnl.gov (desperate mailers)||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||
|| "The Biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design,    ||
||  He's not good at execution. He'd be out of business if there was       ||
||  any competition." - Carl Sagan, _Contact_                              ||

hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com (04/30/91)

>In article <RSLAU.91Apr24132134@tarazed.usc.edu> rslau@usc.edu (Robert Lau) writes:
>>April issue of Discover, page 12...
>>
>>excerpt:
>>
>>  PizzaBot was developed by engineers at Carnegie-Mellon to help disabled
>>  people become entrepreneurs. [...]
>>
>>  The result is a robotic arm placed in front of a semicircular counter,
>>  with ingredients and tools within easy reach.  After the disabled
>>  manager calls out an order, a simple voice-recognition system decides
>>  which of two possible sizes and 12 condiments it just heard. [...]

I saw this system on some science television show, on the Discover
channel I think. It was interesting but it got me wondering:
Why do so many people/companies/universities try to throw robotic
arms at every application, when a gantry style system would seem
a better choice. I think this is the case with the pizza robot.
The application of the sauce and cheese would have been simplified,
the system would then be able to handle sliced pepperoni and other
non-bulk toppings, and it would have cost a lot less.

The point is not how to build a pizza, but I wonder why many engineers
use expensive and complicated systems when simpler ones will work.
For example, I have seen systems use an imbedded microcontroller, a
driver module and a stepper motor in an application where a standard
Bimba cylinder and an electronic valve would have worked fine.

John

John Schuch - Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division (602)438-3008
All opinions expressed are mine and not Motorolas,        their loss.

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (05/03/91)

>I saw this system on some science television show, on the Discover
>channel I think. It was interesting but it got me wondering:
>Why do so many people/companies/universities try to throw robotic
>arms at every application, when a gantry style system would seem
>a better choice. I think this is the case with the pizza robot.

     Gantry style robots have their own set of problems.  I've
worked with IBM's effort in that direction, the RS-1 (also known
as the IBM 5640 Manufacturing System).  Fast, precise linear
actuators present problems.  There's nothing as clean as Adept's
electric direct drive system in the linear world.  The RS-1 used
multipiston walking hydraulic motors running on rails with wave-shaped
teeth for each axis, along with ultrasonic magnostrictive delay line linear
position transducers, connected via an analog servo system supervised
by a computer, and powered by a hydraulic pump in a box a cubic meter
on a side.  It required 3 phase 220 volt power, compressed air, and
chilled water.  This for a machine with a working load of 15 pounds.
It just took too much power to zoom that gantry around.  Didn't sell.

     On a smaller, scale, Automatix's Robotworld uses 4" square units
which translate in X and Y using two-dimensional linear stepping motors
and hanging magnetically from a flat surface above the work area.
The system is workable, but doesn't sell either.

     Neither of these systems offered force servoing or programmable
compliance.  For that you need a system with very little backlash and
one that's back-drivable.  There are good direct-drive electrical robots,
such as the Adept SCARA-type arms and the little Zero arm.  I don't know
of a comparable machine in the gantry form.

     For food processing applications you need a machine that can be
cleaned with boiling soapy water.  Gantry machines tend to have lots of
open track, complicated cabling and plumbing systems, and exposed
lubricated surfaces.  All these are unacceptable in a food processing
operation.  FDA-approved arms exist (the manufacturer is in Colorado
Springs, but the name escapes me.)  With arms, you can put the machinery
inside and out of the way, which is a big plus in many applications.

     SCARA-type arms tend to be the machine of choice today where a
gantry-type motion would be appropriate.  They're available, simple,
reliable, fast, and fully enclosed.  Adept is the big US vendor.

					John Nagle

cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Phoenix) (05/03/91)

In article <24564@well.sf.ca.us> nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:
>     On a smaller, scale, Automatix's Robotworld uses 4" square units
>which translate in X and Y using two-dimensional linear stepping motors
>and hanging magnetically from a flat surface above the work area.
>The system is workable, but doesn't sell either.

The Robotworld I saw required compressed air also.  As I understand, the
units are attracted to the surface by a magnet, and floated away from it
by the compressed air for low friction.

It also makes a lot of noise--the motors whine, and the air hisses.  I never
worked with it, but it looked pretty flexible, powerful, and precise.
--
Chris Phoenix			cphoenix@csli.stanford.edu
#insert <funnyquote.h>      #insert <graphic.h>      #insert <stddisclaimer.h>