[comp.robotics] Getting narrow-beam range data

kjb@cs.brown.edu (Ken Basye) (06/08/91)

We're looking for a way of getting a single range measurement in a
particular direction.  We have sonar, but the beam is far too wide.
I don't think that simple active IR will not have enough range.
Ideally, we'd like something that has low power consumption, a 5-10
degree cone (or less) and a range up to at least 4 meters, although it
need not be very accurate (even +/- 10 cm would be OK).

We've thought about trying to narrow our sonar with some sort of cone,
and also of trying to retroengineer an electronic tape measure.  We're
also looking into structured light as a solution.  If anyone out there
has any other ideas, or any helpful hints about the ideas above, I'd
appreciate hearing about them.  Please respond by mail; I'll summarize
if there's enough interest.
    Thanks,
        Ken

Internet/CSnet  kjb@cs.brown.edu     U.S. MAIL  Ken Basye
UUCP            uunet!brunix!kjb                Box 1910
                                                Dept. of Computer Science
                                                Brown University
                                                Providence, RI  02912

smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) (06/08/91)

In article <77904@brunix.UUCP>, kjb@cs.brown.edu (Ken Basye) writes...
>We're looking for a way of getting a single range measurement in a
>particular direction.  We have sonar, but the beam is far too wide.
[...]
>Ideally, we'd like something that has low power consumption, a 5-10
>degree cone (or less) and a range up to at least 4 meters, although it
>need not be very accurate (even +/- 10 cm would be OK).
What's wrong with sonar again?  The Polaroid sensors have a beam width of
something like 12 degrees....

I called Polaroid the other day and they mentioned that the beamwidth is
approximately inversely proportional to transducer size, and one way to get
narrow beamwidths is to use arrays of transducers.

Willie Smith
smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com
smith%sndpit.enet.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
{Usenet!Backbone}!decwrl!sndpit.enet.dec.com!smith

kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) (06/08/91)

In article <1290@sousa.ltn.dec.com>,
  smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) writes:
> I called Polaroid the other day and they mentioned that the beamwidth is
> approximately inversely proportional to transducer size, and one way to get
> narrow beamwidths is to use arrays of transducers.
> Willie Smith

  I can understand that the beam divergence could be proportional to the
transducer width but I don't see how a larger transducer can produce a narrower
beam. Is this really true?
  Also how does an array of transducers produce a narrow beam?

                  Truth is really stranger than fiction.
                             -Alan

--
 -Alan Kilian kilian@cray.com                  612.683.5499
  Cray Research, Inc.           | "If the human brain was so simple that we

smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) (06/08/91)

In article <160412.13057@timbuk.cray.com>,
	kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes...
>  I can understand that the beam divergence could be proportional to the
>transducer width but I don't see how a larger transducer can produce a narrower
>beam. Is this really true?
>  Also how does an array of transducers produce a narrow beam?

Correction, the beam width is _inversely proportional_ to transducer size.
As the transducer size increases, the beam gets smaller.  An array of
transducers acts just like a single larger one when you drive them right.
Don't ask me for details, I don't have any, try Polaroid, they suggested it
to me...

jpexg@gaak.lcs.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (06/09/91)

>In article <160412.13057@timbuk.cray.com>,
>	kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes...
>> I can understand that the beam divergence could be proportional to the
>> transducer width but I don't see how a larger transducer can produce a
>> narrower beam. Is this really true?
>> Also how does an array of transducers produce a narrow beam?

Alright, here's a rough & ready explanation:

If you have a single transducer, at some distance it is essentially a point
source. Sound will radiate and be returned in all directions, hence your
transducer is geometrically omnidirectional, with only the characteristics
of the transducer to give you limited directionality.

If you have a large transducer, or a lot of small ones in parallel, you
generate a nearly flat wavefront advancing into space (like those physics
problems involving flat capacitors "big enough that we can ignore edge
effects").

Essentially, if the transducer is large compared with the distance to the
target, you will get the desired parallel wavefronts; if not, you get
waves on a circular pattern.

A team at the University of Nottingham, England, invented a phased-array
sonar system; once the target was located they would "steer" their beam
across its surface by firing the transducers at the right times so that at the
desired point on the target all the beams would be in phase, while at all other
points the beams would cancel at least partly.

John Purbrick

nagle@well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) (06/10/91)

>In article <77904@brunix.UUCP>, kjb@cs.brown.edu (Ken Basye) writes...
>>We're looking for a way of getting a single range measurement in a
>>particular direction.  We have sonar, but the beam is far too wide.
>[...]
>>Ideally, we'd like something that has low power consumption, a 5-10
>>degree cone (or less) and a range up to at least 4 meters, although it
>>need not be very accurate (even +/- 10 cm would be OK).

     Cybermation makes a megahertz-range sonar system with a narrow beam
only 3-4 degrees wide, which they offer with their mobile bases or
separately.  They're at 5457 Joe Valley Road, Roanoke, VA 24014,
phone 703-982-2641.

     Cybermation has a whole line of mobile robot components, but they
are not cheap.  Theirs are industrial-strength systems.

					John Nagle

jm59@prism.gatech.EDU (MILLS,JOHN M.) (06/10/91)

In article <1290@sousa.ltn.dec.com> smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) writes:

>In article <77904@brunix.UUCP>, kjb@cs.brown.edu (Ken Basye) writes...
>>We're looking for a way of getting a single range measurement in a
>>particular direction.  We have sonar, but the beam is far too wide.
>[...]
[objectives, questions, and suggestions deleted]
There are three ways to get better range:
  (1) more power (may fry transducer, but you could try to reduce the
      pulse or burst length, or otherwise limit duty cycle),
  (2) preprocessing or gain added to echo detector (but this is usually a
      "high tech" approach), or
  (3) narrow the beam, which it sounds like you also want for a more
      selective measurement.

Going with (3), two possibilities:
  (1) several transducers, spaced out into an array and driven in phase
      [another BUT] (but Polaroid may depend on the transducer's resonance
      to both form and resonate with the burst), or
  (2) use a parabolic reflector.

The other arguments were really "straw men."  I think a reflector is the
way to go.  For a spot beam, try a round reflector: maybe you can find
one of those "spy microphone" toys once sold by Radio Shack and other
sub-MIL vendors, or the fire/cigarette lighter mirrors from Edmund, et al.
For a "fan" (narrow one way, wide the other), a long curved strip should
work.  Use parabolic shapes, and use a slide projector to illuminate
them for focus adjustment.  (a few "points of light" in the form of shiny
metal tape may help on a dull-surfaced reflector.)  You benefit from the
increased aperture on transmission and reception, which is important,
since you are fighting a 1/R^2 relation.  Once you have built the thing,
build a [fairly small] corner reflector, and map it out (unless you have
a microphone that can "see" the ultrasound).  Remember the fan beam will
be wide across the _narrow_ dimension of the reflector, and vice-versa.

The mirror needn't be much larger than the transducer's beamwidth, and
far enough away that the transducer and its supports don't block too much
of the view.  This sets the ratio of focal distance to reflector diameter.
(You will have to use a big enough reflector of long enough focal length.)
This implies you need a reasonable idea of the original beamwidth, but you
seem to have that.  If you want to get tricky, you can illuminate the
reflector obliquely.  You might get even get a product design out of this.

Consult books on antenna theory for more info.  Let me know how it works,
since these comments are in the "ideas are cheap" category: I haven't
actually built one!

>>Ideally, we'd like something that has low power consumption, a 5-10
>>degree cone (or less) and a range up to at least 4 meters, although it
>>need not be very accurate (even +/- 10 cm would be OK).
>What's wrong with sonar again?  The Polaroid sensors have a beam width of
>something like 12 degrees....

Regards -- happy hunting.  --jmm--

--
MILLS,JOHN M.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jm59

vdputten@ravel.inria.fr (Frits Van Der Putten) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun9.051512.29194@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu>, jpexg@gaak.lcs.mit.edu (John Purbrick) writes:
> >In article <160412.13057@timbuk.cray.com>,
> >	kilian@cray.com (Alan Kilian) writes...
> >> I can understand that the beam divergence could be proportional to the
> >> transducer width but I don't see how a larger transducer can produce a
> >> narrower beam. Is this really true?
> >> Also how does an array of transducers produce a narrow beam?

-- skipped a part --

> A team at the University of Nottingham, England, invented a phased-array
> sonar system; once the target was located they would "steer" their beam
> across its surface by firing the transducers at the right times so that at the
> desired point on the target all the beams would be in phase, while at all other
> points the beams would cancel at least partly.
>
> John Purbrick

At our instrumentation department we have quite a lot of experience using
ultrasound for underwater, air or seismic applications.
One of the devices we develloped a few years agoo was a phased array of 32x32
ultrasonic transduces for underwater acoustics. By means of using phase shifts in
firing the transducers the beam could be pointed at any location hence acting
as an directional acoustic antenna. Please contact mr. G. Boersma (phone:
+31.15.69.23.31) at our department in Delft for more details.
The same techniques can also be applied in air. I agree completely with the
rough explanation by John Purbick that small devices will act as point sources
and larger devices will spread plane waves. However, we used a parallel set of
six polaroid transduces and did not use any sophisticated phase shifting in
steering those devices. Thus we obtained a beamwith of approximately 6 degrees
and an accuracy of 0.4 mm in axial direction. This development was done by
my collegue mr. R. Breeuwer (also in Delft, phone: +31.15.69.22.20)

--
                           Frits van der Putten

  TNO, Institute of Applied Physics        INRIA
  Stieltjesweg 1                           2004 Route des Lucioles
  Delft                                    06561 Valbonne, Cedex
  The Netherlands                          France
  Tel: + 31.15.69.20.00                    Tel: + 33.93.65.78.57
  Fax: + 31.15.69.21.11                    Fax: + 33.93.65.78.58
  e-mail: vdputten@tpdsun.tno.nl           e-mail: vdputten@mirsa.inria.fr

bleck@ai.mit.edu (Olaf Bleck) (06/13/91)

I have this thing made by a company called Calculated Industries, the
Dimension Master Plus (TM) Tapeless Measure/Calculator that's designed
for architects I think.  It has a phased array of three sonar actuators
(they're 1inch diameter), and it advertises roughly a 3deg.  beamwidth,
which is believable based on playing with it.  Good resolution too--it
gives millimeters...not that anyone would care.

I don't know how we got it or where, so don't ask, but it probably cost
a few hundred $$$.  Dimensions are about 3"x6"x1", weighs less than a
pound with batteries.

Tear Here:
Olaf Bleck					bleck@ai.mit.edu
Research Scientist				617-253-0997