[comp.robotics] Artificial Muscle Actuators

jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) (06/06/91)

Does anyone know of a source for muscular type actuators?
How about research references on the subject? Thanks
--
THOMPSON,JOHN C
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!jt34

frank@milo.berkeley.edu (Frank Tendick) (06/12/91)

In article <30737@hydra.gatech.EDU> jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
>Does anyone know of a source for muscular type actuators?
>How about research references on the subject? Thanks

There is an excellent chapter by Blake Hannaford and Jack Winters in
Multiple Muscle Systems: Biomechanics and Movement Organization,
J.M. Winters and S.L.-Y. Woo, eds., 1990 Springer-Verlag.  They
compare and contrast the properties of muscle with a variety of other
actuators.  They also describe some commercially available actuators
which are designed to be "muscle-like."  As pointed out by Doug Wilkie,
however, there is no artificial actuator which has the unusual
characteristic of muscle that it is also good to eat! :-)

---
Frank Tendick                        (415)642-5309
486 Minor Hall                       frank@opus.berkeley.edu
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

bsercomb@gara.une.oz.au (Katani) (06/13/91)

a decent lifting capacity [150kg] from one of these?

powers@informatik.uni-kl.de (David Powers (AG Siekmann)) (06/13/91)

bsercomb@gara.une.oz.au (Katani) writes:

>a decent lifting capacity [150kg] from one of these?

Can ONE of your muscles accomplish decent lifting?

reeder@reed.UUCP (Doug Reeder) (06/18/91)

In article <30737@hydra.gatech.EDU> jt34@prism.gatech.EDU (THOMPSON,JOHN C) writes:
>Does anyone know of a source for muscular type actuators?
>How about research references on the subject? Thanks

    I have used nitinol alloy wire (shape memory metal).  When you heat it
up, it contracts.  It is easily heated by running current through it.  When
you turn the current off, the heat radiates to the atmosphere and the wire
lengthens.  The wires I used:
length 100mm
diameter .15mm
resistance 4 ohms
max. wattatge  .8 watts
cooled off in about a second.  I got them from Toki America, the American
barnche of the Toki Corporation several years ago.  I might be able to dig
up their address if someone really needs it. They were selling it under the
trademark name Biometal.

    A complete summary of my reseach results:  It doesn't contract as far or
with as much force as they claim it does. The 10 cm lengths contracted
perhaps 6mm, with about 1 or 2 newtons of force, using perhaps 1 watt of
power.  Their efficiency is therefore about 1%.  (This is all from memory)
The power per unit mass is high.  I spent something like $70 for 12 of these.

--
Doug Reeder                                   USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!reeder
Internet: reeder@reed.EDU                     BITNET: reeder@reed.BITNET