[comp.robotics] What is the cheapest shaft encoder you know of?

pkahn@ADS.COM (Philip Kahn) (05/30/91)

I have two axes that I am controlling with steppers.  The steppers are
to be operated open loop, but I need to have some home and limit
switches. Thing is, they're a pain in the butt to mount, and it winds
up not to be so very cheap when at least 4 are required.

An easy way out of this is to find a really cheap, repeatable shaft
encoder that effectively will provide me with "multiple limit" positions.
I don't want to spend more than $10 per in quantity, they should slide
over the shaft, and I don't need good resolution (obviously), though
repeatability probably means it should be optical.  HP makes some nice
inexpensive encoders (that have great resolution), though the $25 per
is too pricey.  Any suggestions??

thanks,
phil...

P.S.: I don't think a pot and A/D has the repeatability I need, though
      I'm eager to be proven wrong :-)

mike@wang.com (Mike Sullivan) (05/31/91)

pkahn@ADS.COM (Philip Kahn) writes:

>An easy way out of this is to find a really cheap, repeatable shaft
>encoder that effectively will provide me with "multiple limit" positions.
>I don't want to spend more than $10 per in quantity, they should slide
>over the shaft, and I don't need good resolution (obviously), though
>repeatability probably means it should be optical.  HP makes some nice
>inexpensive encoders (that have great resolution), though the $25 per
>is too pricey.  Any suggestions??

When I were a lad... Back when I worked for Real World Interface we built our
own shaft encoders by drilling holes in a gear blank ( any number you like )
and ran it through a opto-isolator ( led-reciever pair ).  This requires
a little mounting hardware but you ought to able to squeak under the $10 mark.

But you tell kids that these days and they won't believe ya! ;-)

HTH

mike

--
  ______________________
 /  __              __  \  | Michael J. Sullivan    |     Love all
 \______________________/  | FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN|   - Rock Hard -

hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch) (06/05/91)

>pkahn@ADS.COM (Philip Kahn) writes:
>
>.....  HP makes some nice
>inexpensive encoders (that have great resolution), though the $25 per
>is too pricey.  Any suggestions??                            ^^^^^^

What shaft encoder is $25 and in what quantity? All the ones I have
found are at least 5 times that much. In my application I'd rather
the encoder have its own shaft.

John

jackm@agcsun.UUCP (Jack Morrison) (06/15/91)

I missed the original posting, but assuming the Subject line covers it, you
might consider the method some satellite dish positioners use.

As I understand it, they have a magnet on the shaft, and a reed switch that
sees it go by each revolution. Then just count the transitions.

Not much resolution, but you could put the magnet on a separate shaft that
was geared to spin several times for each main shaft revolution. And/or
use a disk with several magnets mounted around the circumference.

If this violates someone's patent, you didn't hear it from me ;-)

--
"How am I typing?  Call 1-303-279-1300"     Jack C. Morrison
Ampex Video Systems    581 Conference Place, Golden CO 80401

klaus@captain-crunch.ai.mit.edu (Klaus B. Biggers) (06/15/91)

In article <966@agcsun.UUCP> jackm@agcsun.UUCP (Jack Morrison) writes:

>As I understand it, they have a magnet on the shaft, and a reed switch that
>sees it go by each revolution. Then just count the transitions.
                                          ^^^^^

You will need to use some method to determine which direction to count,
quadrature of some type, if your system is reversible, otherwise, when the
system reverses, you will continue to count up when you should be counting
down.... I hate it when that happens!!

-klaus                                              klaus@snowhite.ced.utah.edu

mack@intvax.UUCP (Michael J. McDonald) (06/17/91)

It really depends on how cheap you think cheap is and what your
application really looks like. For example, if your system only
turns in one direction then you don't have to worry about quad
detection and you can use a single switch style encoder.

However, If you started using several switches, then you might
quickly end up with a system that is cheaper than a standard
encoder.

One person suggested gearing, but often geared systems are
more expensive than just using a simpler (but seemingly more
expensive) optical encoder.

If I were developing a home-brew encoder, I would probably use a
knotched disk attached to the shaft and a radio-shack quality photo
transistor/detector pair reading across the gaps. Quad detect would
be accomplished by using two sensing points and spacing them so that
you got on-on at one detector's transition when the motor was
turning one way and on-off when turning the other way.

If I were designing system (not Home-brew), I would probably
contact companies like HP, and BEI for encoder information as well
as companies that make magnetic devices (Red Lion) and Wiggand
Effect Sensors (SensoTec) and ask them what the cheapest system would
be for YOUR application.

tonyo@sagerat.CNA.TEK.COM (Tony Ozrelic) (06/18/91)

Regarding cheap shaft encoders:

The Do-It-Yourself Type:

Make a small plastic disk, about 2 inches in diameter. Paint one half of the
disk black, leave the other half clear, or glue aluminum foil to it
(for reflective sensors). Position 2 optical sensors at 90 degrees to each
other. The outputs will give you 4 pulses per rev after decoding. Mount
on shaft of motor by drilling hole in center just a tad (smidge, in the metric
system) smaller and force-fitting the disk onto the shaft. A drop of super
glue does the rest.

The Cheap-Off-The-Shelf Type:

Buy a Bourns Optical Encoder from Digi-Key. For $25 you can get a
128-pulses-per rev encoder.

Decoding the outputs is left as an exercise for the student :-)

tony "i hate it when he says that" o.

dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) (06/19/91)

In article <3755@intvax.UUCP> mack@intvax.UUCP (Michael J. McDonald) writes:
>If I were developing a home-brew encoder, I would probably use a
>knotched disk attached to the shaft and a radio-shack quality photo
>transistor/detector pair reading across the gaps. Quad detect would

An article in the July, 1980 Ham Radio magazine told how to make a simple
optical shaft encoder.

The article, "Rotary-dial mechanism for digitally tuned transceivers"
used a photodisk with 50 and 100 marks per revolution. It included circuitry
to detect rotation and direction of rotation. It could be setup for 50,
100 or 200 pulses per revolution.

The photo disk was available for $1.00 from the author. The 50 mark disk
was about 2.5 inches in diameter; the 100 mark disk was 3.5 inches diameter.

A query to an online HAM callbook shows that his address has changed.

Anyone interested in the photodisk (and maybe a copy of the HR article)
might want to write to him (include a SASE) at:

	Chet B. Opal, K3CU
	4900 Timberline Drive
	Austin, TX 78746

He said in his article that he welcomed letters.

--
Dave Turner	415/823-2001	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,decwrl}!pacbell!dmturne

ear@wpi.WPI.EDU (Eric A Rasmussen) (06/19/91)

In article <6185@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:
>The photo disk was available for $1.00 from the author. The 50 mark disk
>was about 2.5 inches in diameter; the 100 mark disk was 3.5 inches diameter.

Excuse me if I am missing some subtle flaw in reasoning, but I think I have
just come up with a very simple and cheap method of producing the optical disk
part of an optical encoder.

Steps
-----
1) Use a CAD package, drawing program, or whatever to design the simple radial
lines and circle pattern which will appear on the disk.
2) Make a good dark printout of said design on a laser printer.
3) Convert this to a transparency such as used for overhead projectors with
one of those thermal things often found in the office closet.
4) Cut the design out of the plastic.

Bingo, you have a clear plastic disk with your lines.  Some reenforcement
might be needed, such as using a transparent glue to attach it to a second
layer of clear plastic or glass, but other than that I can't think of a good
reason why it wouldn't work.  Furthermore, you could easily customize the
resolution to suit your needs.

+---------< Eric A. Rasmussen - Mr. Neat-O (tm) >---------+ +< Email Address >+
|   A real engineer never reads the instructions first.   | | ear@wpi.wpi.edu |
|   (They figure out how it works by playing with it.)    | | ear%wpi@wpi.edu |
+---------------------------------------------------------+ +-----------------+
                     ((( In Stereo Where Available )))

ruspini@nas.nasa.gov (Diego C. Ruspini) (06/20/91)

In article <6185@ptsfa.PacBell.COM> dmturne@PacBell.COM (Dave Turner) writes:
>The photo disk was available for $1.00 from the author. The 50 mark disk
>was about 2.5 inches in diameter; the 100 mark disk was 3.5 inches diameter.

Here is a Postscipt program I wrote a while back to make encoder disks of any
size and with as many slots as you want. It probably a bit clunky but its
pretty easy to change any options that you wish to make different. Edit
the example calls to the subroutine "drawdisk" to fit your personal needs and
print it out on transparency film ( make sure your laser printer can handle
transparency film). If your printer can't handle transparency, xerox it onto
a transparency, this is what I did, the quality is not great but appears to
work. I then glued this to a piece clear plastic which you can find in almost
any hobby store. If your realy cheap you can use the plastic from a cover of
a cassette tape or CD. With this a couple of optical encoders a 7414 & a 74121
you can make yourself a good shaft encoder, dirt cheap.

I also had a Postscript program that would produce disks for absolute shaft
encoders in gray code, but I can't seem to locate it now. If enough people are
interested I can look at some dusty old tapes I have and see if I can scrounge
it up.

PROGRAM FOLLOWS