[comp.robotics] CALM

bridon@auto-trol.com (Brian Donahue) (06/21/91)

yo.

i have this (maybe ridiculous) idea for a 'automatic' lawn mower.
The idea would be to mount a mulching lawn mower on a 'computer-guided'
platform of sorts.  You could then do a(n accurate) drafting/CAD
layout of your lawn (including trees, flower gardens (ie. places
you dont want mowed)), figure out a start point, use an NC-type
algorithm to guide your mower and then sit back
with a beer while your PC does all the work.

Being a robotics neophyte, i have no idea how to approach this problem
or what complications may make the problem harder than it sounds.
For example, would i need some sort of tracking system?  or can i assume
that for every turn of the wheel the lawn mower goes a certain distance?
(how accurate can i get w/ no tracking system?)
Are there suppliers of rs232-driven 'wheels'??

or is this totally ridiculous & not worth pursuing?

thanks for any advice,
bd				bridon@auto-trol.com

cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Phoenix) (06/21/91)

In <1991Jun20.192334.24623@auto-trol.com> bridon@auto-trol.com (Brian Donahue) writes:
>i have this (maybe ridiculous) idea for a 'automatic' lawn mower.
>The idea would be to mount a mulching lawn mower on a 'computer-guided'
>platform of sorts. ... use an NC-type algorithm to guide your mower and

Maybe I'm just brain-dead today... what's an NC-type algorithm?

>Being a robotics neophyte, i have no idea how to approach this problem
>or what complications may make the problem harder than it sounds.
>For example, would i need some sort of tracking system?  or can i assume
>that for every turn of the wheel the lawn mower goes a certain distance?
>(how accurate can i get w/ no tracking system?)

You definitely need some kind of tracking system.  Consider:  1) Wet grass
is slippery.  2) The yard is bumpy, so the wheels actually travel slightly
different distances.  I doubt anyone could build an unguided system that
would hit a 1-meter target across a 10-meter yard, without some massive
sensing/feedback.  Maybe a walking-type system would work, but I don't think
it can be done with wheels.  (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me, but we
had problems making a synchronous-drive base roll straight on carpet, and
this seems like a much harder problem.)

>or is this totally ridiculous & not worth pursuing?

It's not totally ridiculous.  It'll be a great learning experience. :-)

Seriously, it depends on how much time you want to spend on it, and how
general you want the solution to be.  My first inclination was to advise you
to build some sort of position-and-orientation sensor, that could tell the
platform where it was well enough to use a general path-planning algorithm.
 I've been in school too long.
So, I'd advise building a really simple sensing system, consisting of
reflectors all around the yard and a machine that only knows enough to head
for a reflector and turn when the PC tells it to.

Mark off the yard with a grid, making each "strip" (crossing strips form
the grid) the width of the mower's blade.  Where each strip intersects the
edge of the yard, put a reflector.  If there is an obstacle in the middle
of a strip that obscures the strip's reflector, put a reflector on each side
of the obstacle as well.  Now sit down with graph paper and draw your yard,
and then draw a path that covers each square of graph paper without an
obstacle in it.  Put hardware on your mower to do two things:  1) Move toward
a reflector that is in front of it.  2) Turn 90 degrees.  3) Sense when it
rolls past a reflector to the side of it.  Program your PC to count the
reflectors it passes and turn at the appropriate points to follow your path.

Another possibility:  Bury a wire under the yard, and make your machine follow
the wire.  This is simplest--you don't even need a computer.  But it takes a
lot of wire for a big yard, and you have to worry about something breaking the
wire.  (Of course, you have to worry about something removing the reflector,
too.)  I don't know what kind of circuitry you need to make this work--I would
guess an RF generator you hook up to the wire, two antennas on the machine,
compare the signal strength from the antennas to decide where to turn.

If anyone has any feedback on anything I've said, please tell me, either in
e-mail or on the net.  Thanks!

--
Chris Phoenix			cphoenix@csli.stanford.edu
#insert <funnyquote.t>      #insert <graphic.t>      #insert <stddisclaimer.t>

klaus@captain-crunch.ai.mit.edu (Klaus B. Biggers) (06/22/91)

In article <20073@csli.Stanford.EDU> cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Phoenix) writes:
>Another possibility:  Bury a wire under the yard, and make your machine follow
>the wire.  This is simplest--you don't even need a computer.  But it takes a
>lot of wire for a big yard, and you have to worry about something breaking the
>wire.  (Of course, you have to worry about something removing the reflector,
>too.)  I don't know what kind of circuitry you need to make this work--I would
>guess an RF generator you hook up to the wire, two antennas on the machine,
>compare the signal strength from the antennas to decide where to turn.
>
>If anyone has any feedback on anything I've said, please tell me, either in
>e-mail or on the net.  Thanks!

I like that idea best... I saw an add the other day by a company
called invisible fence. You bury a wire around the perimeter of your
yard and then put a special collar on your dog. When the dog gets
close to the wire, his collar beeps, and if he continues on, it then
gives the dog a mild shock. It seems you could use this type of
approach to tell the mower to turn around but not completely. It may
be possible to just let the mower make a random pattern over your
yard.. It would eventually cover all of it unless it got into some
sort of limit cycle. You could probably increase the efficiency by
making the mower take a curved path or arc. You could also bury wires
around flower beds, swimming pools, etc.  and you could put some sort
of bumper on it to get it to turn around when it hits a tree. I've
seen automagic pool sweepers that work on this random traversal
principle and they seem to work quite well with respect to covering
the entire pool. You may want to add a grass level sensor to determine
if the grass you are passing over has already been cut and if so,
alter your path.

Then again you could get an expert system... a son or daughter...
they could even get you your beer out of the fridge and if they
refuse you could always dig out that old dog collar and activate
the fence again :). (just joking).

-klaus                                              klaus@.ced.utah.edu

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (06/22/91)

In article <20073@csli.Stanford.EDU> cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU (Chris Phoenix) writes:

}Another possibility:  Bury a wire under the yard, and make your machine follow
}the wire.  This is simplest--you don't even need a computer.  But it takes a
}lot of wire for a big yard, and you have to worry about something breaking the
}wire.  ...

This is a very old idea.  I first saw it in Popular Electronics about
thirty mumble years ago.  I can think of other disadvantages:

     The yard must be clear of all obstacles (anything not accounted for
     in the wire's path and/or mower's ground clearance).

     The yard better be guaranteed clear of small children and pets.

     If the mower hits a bump and takes off at a sharp enough angle, it
     will lose the wire and get lost.

Remember, you're dealing with a massive blade driven by a gasoline powered
engine.  The potential for damage is serious. (Now you know why there
aren't any commercial versions on the market).

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp                   Illegitimis non

gcary@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Greg Cary) (06/22/91)

The June 1990 issue of Radio Electronics has a feature article
on "The Lawn Ranger", an automatic lawn mower robot.

Greg Cary  MN65-2500
Honeywell, Inc.
Systems & Research Center       gcary@src.honeywell.com
3660 Technology Drive           office: (612)782-7683
Minneapolis, MN 55418           FAX: (612)782-7438

carter@mcs.anl.gov (Richard Carter) (06/22/91)

In article <16607@life.ai.mit.edu>, klaus@captain-crunch.ai.mit.edu (Klaus B. Biggers) writes:
> ... You may want to add a grass level sensor to determine
>if the grass you are passing over has already been cut and if so,
>alter your path.

You mean, kind of like the screen termite program on my sun ? :-)

--
Richard Carter        |  Dicisne mihi maculas in sole mercatum
MCS Division          |  labi fecisse????

hm02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hans P. Moravec) (06/22/91)

 klaus@captain-crunch.ai.mit.edu (Klaus B. Biggers) writes
> In article <20073@csli.Stanford.EDU> cphoenix@csli.Stanford.EDU
> (Chris Phoenix) writes:
>>Another possibility:  Bury a wire under the yard, and make your
machine follow
>>the wire.  This is simplest--you don't even need a computer.  But it takes a
>>lot of wire for a big yard, and you have to worry about something
breaking the
>>wire.  (Of course, you have to worry about something removing the reflector,
>>too.)  I don't know what kind of circuitry you need to make this
work--I would
>>guess an RF generator you hook up to the wire, two antennas on the machine,
>>compare the signal strength from the antennas to decide where to turn.
>>
>>If anyone has any feedback on anything I've said, please tell me, either in
>>e-mail or on the net.  Thanks!
>

>I like that idea best... I saw an add the other day by a company
>called invisible fence. You bury a wire around the perimeter of your
>yard and then put a special collar on your dog. When the dog gets
>close to the wire, his collar beeps, and if he continues on, it then
>gives the dog a mild shock. It seems you could use this type of
>approach to tell the mower to turn around but not completely. It may
>be possible to just let the mower make a random pattern over your
>yard.. It would eventually cover all of it ...

Around 1964 (that's right, almost 30 years ago) there was a construction
 article in Radio Electronics describing a mower built on the wire follower
 principle suggested by Chris.  It described how to convert a conventional
 power mower by adding drive motors and control electronics.

A year or so later a commercial product, called the "Mowbot", appeared,
 costing about $2000, that used the "boundary bounce" principle suggested
 by Klaus.  Trees were put off limits by running the (buried) boundary wire
 from the property periphery to the tree, around it, and then back to the
 periphery by the same route. The colinear wires between the periphery
 and the tree were invisible to the mower because the opposite directions
 cancelled the signal.  The turtle-like car-battery-powered Mowbot had
 small, safe, cutter blades, and depended on persistence to get all the
 grass.  It was too heavy to move around by hand, but had a plug-in manual
 control "leash" that let one drive it to its recharger.  There did not seem
 to be a great market for a $2000 lawnmower, and I never heard of it again.

                       Hans Moravec <hpm@cs.cmu.edu>

mikef@IASTATE.EDU (Fahrion Michael J) (06/24/91)

Funny, I was just discussing this the other day with an M.E. colleage.  Our idea
was more commercial application, businesses with large, mostly obstacle-free
lawns.  The idea was to replace the $4k-10k lawn tractors used by these
companies.

We were thinking electric, very small path, and very slow.  The system would run
at night, until it ran out of charge.  Then hopefully have a solar charge cycle
during the day.  The buried boundary idea was favored, also with a cut
grass/uncut grass sensor system and some intelligence (microprocessor) to keep
it running straight (relative to the last path), reverse directions at the end
of each pass, and to sense simple obstacles.

Theres some definate problems, and it sounds like similar attempts have already
been made, but I'd say there's still something to it.

mikef

smith@sctc.com (Rick Smith) (06/24/91)

bridon@auto-trol.com (Brian Donahue) writes:

>i have this (maybe ridiculous) idea for a 'automatic' lawn mower.

>For example, would i need some sort of tracking system?  or can i assume
>that for every turn of the wheel the lawn mower goes a certain distance?
>(how accurate can i get w/ no tracking system?)

Well, put it this way. People doing the same thing in large rooms
with slip-resistant rubber wheels on nice, flat floors _can't_ get
by without alternative positioning information. If you get off by
a little bit, then the mowing will be uneven. If you get off by
a lot, then you might find yourself living an unwritten Stephen
King novel.

Since you proposed using a mulching mower, you could start from the
middle of the lawn and work outwards. If you can find some way of
detecting the grass height, then you can use this information to guide
the mower. It could just go back and forth as long as it finds long
grass. Once it runs out of long grass, it stops. Then you come along
and drag it over to some more long grass and start it up again.

You'll want to incorporate some collision avoidance behavior that
coordinates with the grass-cutting behavior. If I were you I'd
take a look at the the stuff that Rod Brooks et al are doing at
the MIT AI lab.

>or is this totally ridiculous & not worth pursuing?

It depends on your goal. Sounds like a fun project even if you
fail, so long as the mower doesn't chase you down the street,
or mulch any small living things, like children.

Rick.
smith@sctc.com    Arden Hills, Minnesota

cwpjr@cbnewse.cb.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun20.192334.24623@auto-trol.com>, bridon@auto-trol.com (Brian Donahue) writes:

> yo.
>
> i have this (maybe ridiculous) idea for a 'automatic' lawn mower.
> The idea would be to mount a mulching lawn mower on a 'computer-guided'
> platform of sorts.  You could then do a(n accurate) drafting/CAD
> layout of your lawn (including trees, flower gardens (ie. places
> you dont want mowed)), figure out a start point, use an NC-type
> algorithm to guide your mower and then sit back
> with a beer while your PC does all the work.
>
> Being a robotics neophyte, i have no idea how to approach this problem
> or what complications may make the problem harder than it sounds.
> For example, would i need some sort of tracking system?  or can i assume
> that for every turn of the wheel the lawn mower goes a certain distance?
> (how accurate can i get w/ no tracking system?)
> Are there suppliers of rs232-driven 'wheels'??
>
> or is this totally ridiculous & not worth pursuing?
>
> thanks for any advice,
> bd				bridon@auto-trol.com

A multi-part series on this project ran last year...

Clyde

ckeele@oregon.uoregon.edu (06/27/91)

For safety, I think that Jacobson or some such company made a lawn mower
that used a rubber or plastic blade.  This was about 10 - 15 years ago,
but you may still be able to find blades, or mowers.

If I remember right, it had a solid plastic center section about 15" in
diameter, and 3 or 4 replacable rubber blades attached to it.

I think that you were supposed to be able to put your foot into the blade
and not get hurt, although I never tried it.  It probably would hurt some.

I don't think that it worked very well, but it probably would be a necessary
safety feature of the CALM system.

Clifford Keele
ckeele@donald.uoregon.edu

Well, at least I think I remember seeing one of the above described beasts,
but it was a long time ago when I was about 10, so it is hard to be sure.

abg@mars.ornl.gov (Alex L. Bangs) (06/29/91)

One method for tracking that you can use is watching the already mowed
area, which should be relatively easy to sense.
This works nicely for rectangular areas with no obstacles.

Alex L. Bangs ---> bangsal@ornl.gov         Of course, my opinions are
Oak Ridge National Laboratory/CESAR            my own darned business...
Autonomous Robotic Systems Group