[comp.sys.mac.comm] Maclayers and Apollo workstation problem

dwl@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Lee) (05/03/90)

Hello,

I have tried to install maclayers on my unix account with no success. It is an
Apollo workstation running BSD 4.3. I ftp'ed the maclayers-unix-side.shar
file, then "sh" and finally I typed 'make install' and got the following
error messages:

/bin/cc -O -c layers.c

 (0045) 	time_t ut_time ;

******** Line 45 of "/usr/include/utmp.h": [Error #041]  Unknown type "time_t" in a
         structure or union.
******** Line 45 of "/usr/include/utmp.h": [Error #041]  Unknown type "ut_time" in a
         structure or union.
*** Exit 1

Stop.

I have very little knowledge of Unix or C so the above message is meaningless
to me. Is there something I can do to successfully install maclayers?

Thanks!
David

dwl@ocf.Berkeley.EDU

c60c-3cf@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (Dan Kogai) (05/04/90)

In article <1990May2.203935.15825@agate.berkeley.edu> dwl@ocf.berkeley.edu (David Lee) writes:

>I have tried to install maclayers on my unix account with no success. It is an
>Apollo workstation running BSD 4.3. I ftp'ed the maclayers-unix-side.shar
>file, then "sh" and finally I typed 'make install' and got the following
>error messages:
>
>/bin/cc -O -c layers.c
>
> (0045) 	time_t ut_time ;
>
>******** Line 45 of "/usr/include/utmp.h": [Error #041]  Unknown type "time_t" in a
>         structure or union.
>******** Line 45 of "/usr/include/utmp.h": [Error #041]  Unknown type "ut_time" in a
>         structure or union.
>*** Exit 1
>
>Stop.

	It compliled fine on Sun 3 and I tried to rlogin to OCF Apollos but
something went wrong and I couldn't.  So I can't tell but the following patch
shold help.  Just save this article and do "patch layers.c < thisarticle".

127,136c127
<
< #include <sys/types.h>
< #include <sys/time.h>
< #include <sys/file.h>
< #include <sys/wait.h>
< #include <sys/socket.h>
< #include <sys/un.h>
< #include <sys/stat.h>
< #include <sys/dir.h>
< #include <sys/ioctl.h>
---

145a137,145
> #include <sys/types.h>
> #include <sys/time.h>
> #include <sys/file.h>
> #include <sys/wait.h>
> #include <sys/socket.h>
> #include <sys/un.h>
> #include <sys/stat.h>
> #include <sys/dir.h>
> #include <sys/ioctl.h>

	The problem is, <sys/time.h> is included AFTER <utmp.h> and
<sys/time.h> defines time_t.  So the error above will not occur in case
of your error.  If similar errors occur in different file, just use
editor to move all <sys/*> above others.  Good luck.
	BTW.  If you can access OCF from normal network or nobody@violet,
you can't use maclayer so far because maclayer has a bug dealing with
7-bit connection.

---
##################  Dan The "I grok therefore I am God" Man
+ ____  __  __   +  (Aka Dan Kogai)
+     ||__||__|  +  E-mail:     dankg@ocf.berkeley.edu
+ ____| ______   +  Voice:      415-549-6111
+ |     |__|__|  +  USnail:     1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709
+     |____|____ +  Disclaimer: I'd rather be blackmailed for my long .sig
+   \_|    |     +              than give up my cool name in Kanji. And my
+ <- THE MAN  -> +              citizenship of People's Republic o' Berkeley
##################              has nothing 2 do w/ whatever I post, ThanQ.