[comp.sys.mac.comm] White Knight zmodem problems

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (05/03/90)

In article <2524@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <1990May1.150650.2226@chinet.chi.il.us> magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) writes:
>>I have experienced problems with restarting an interrupted zmodem file
>>transfer.  I'm using WK 11.06 on an SE/30. When I restarted the
>>transfer (of a TEXT file), WK restarted the transfer and
>>successfully put all of the text into the file, but it all ended
>>up in the resource fork!  The final file had a type of "cso." and
>>a creator of "uiuc".
>>Uninterrupted transfers work fine.
>>	------------    ------------   ----------------------
>>	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us
>>	                GEnie,Delphi   MAGIK
>
> [Norm saying he's had no problems omitted]

I've had this problem too!  I also thought it was a fluke but
apparently it might not be.  Could it be some interaction with sz
here at chinet?  I'll try running some tests and see what happens.

--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (05/04/90)

HS> I've had this problem too! I also thought it was a fluke but
HS> apparently it might not be. Could it be some interaction with sz
HS> here at chinet? I'll try running some tests and see what happens.

I can confirm the problem also. From what a friend of mine says, White Knight
can recover just fine from Second Sight Zmodem partials, but it has a problem
with Chuck Forsberg's implementation of sz. It's simply a matter of getting
the unfinished files and forwarding them to Scott and he'll likely track down
the problem.

- Chris

 ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   USENET:  macman@wpi.wpi.edu          SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET: 322/575.1                          508.832.7725  (1200/2400)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (05/05/90)

In article <1990May3.162251.21166@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:

>I've had this problem too!  I also thought it was a fluke but
>apparently it might not be.  Could it be some interaction with sz
>here at chinet?  I'll try running some tests and see what happens.
>  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)

	After a few msgs of feedback, it appears that the solution
	to the problem of where zmodem is placing resumed data into
	a resource fork and not the data fork where it belongs is
	to set WK to disable Macbinary or the use Macbinary for no
	Files setting. I will chat at Scott and see if this should
	be the solution or if there is a change required in the code
	to solve this problem. More Later...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

RP1VOPER@MIAMIU.BITNET (Rob Pickering) (05/05/90)

Also,  to be helpful...

There is a new version of White Knight 11.07, Scott Watson did some work on the

z-modem transfer techniques.  It should be available on commercial bbs.

If you're really interested I could post the patches to comp.mac.binaries.

                     -Rob

NO I don't have a cute ending phrase this is it