[comp.sys.mac.comm] TCPort vs. MacTCP

ramsey@lll.llnl.gov (Ramsey, Susanne) (05/09/90)

We are looking at connecting some Macs to the network with ethernet cards
either Asante or Apple.  We are considering 2 TCP software packages.  Can
someone comment on them as to which is better, pros and cons, costs etc.
They are :

	MacTCP and HostAccess TCPort

We are also going to use eXodus.  Your comments are most welcome.
Please respond directly to me.

Thanks
Susanne

Susanne Barbera-Ramsey			Lawerence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: ramsey@lll.llnl.gov		7000 East Ave. L-630
(415) 423-9530				Livermore Ca 94550
DISCLAIMER: These are my words, my thoughts and my opinions.  Who else would
	    want them .. ;-)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (05/10/90)

In article <58229@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, ramsey@lll.llnl.gov (Ramsey, Susanne)
writes:
> We are looking at connecting some Macs to the network with ethernet cards
> either Asante or Apple.  We are considering 2 TCP software packages.  Can
> someone comment on them as to which is better, pros and cons, costs etc.
> They are :
>
> 	MacTCP and HostAccess TCPort

First HostAccess is one product and TCPort is another.  I believe HostAccess
comes with TCPort (which are the TCP/IP drivers).  MacTCP is a TCP/IP driver
as well.  Which means that more than one program can use the the drivers
at the sametime.  Such as eXodus and HostAccess at the sametime.

HostAccess is an application that does telnet, and FTP.  It currently emulates
a VT100 while doing telnet.  There are other similar programs on the market
that do this and allow other functionality as well.

NCSA Telnet
InterCon's TCP/Connect II
Ungermann Bass UWS (I think that's what its called)
Standford MacIP (which HostAccess is based on)

There are a slew of NCSA Telnet versions with additional features that have
been done by various Universities.  (Clarkson, etc.)

I don't know how many other commercial packages use TCPort, but I would guess
that there are at least as many as use MacTCP.  In the long run it will boil
down to how well Apple supports MacTCP, as compared to TCPort.

Hope that was helpful.

> We are also going to use eXodus.  Your comments are most welcome.
> Please respond directly to me.
>
> Thanks
> Susanne

Kurt Baumann--