[comp.sys.mac.comm] Latest version of HyperBBS?

shite@unf7.UUCP (Stephen Hite) (05/22/90)

  What is the latest version of HyperBBS?  The info-mac archive's version is
well over a year old.  It's a neat idea for a BBS that any non-techie Mac
sysop could run and it's just what we need for our Mac User's Group but
the user's side is not Hypercard-based in v1.0.  Most of the users in our
group are not technical and don't even bother calling the BBS for info be-
cause it's intimidating for most of them (I know, RRH is not intimidating but
it's hard for me to see it from their side being a programmer) to use.  Hyper-
BBS looks like a really *fun* and *easy* system to use and may be the ticket
to get people calling in and exchanging ideas.  The price is right, too!

  If anyone would like to e-mail me the latest version (only if it has a
user-side Hypercard interface, though...I have 1.0)  our Mac group would
appreciate it very much!

-----------------------------
Steve Hite
...gatech!uflorida!unf7!shite

macman@wpi.wpi.edu (Chris Silverberg) (05/27/90)

SH> Hyper- BBS looks like a really *fun* and *easy* system to use and
SH> may be the ticket to get people calling in and exchanging ideas.
SH> The price is right, too!

On a normal Mac SE it is also VERY SLOW.  Perhaps performance is much better
on an 030 based machine, but I haven't been able to test this yet.

 ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
   Chris Silverberg                     AOL:   Silverberg
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      GEnie: C.Silverberg
   INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu         SYSOP: Main Street U.S.A. BBS
   FIDONET:  322/575.1                         508.832.7725  (1200/2400)

chesley@goofy.apple.com (Harry Chesley) (05/31/90)

In article <262@unf7.UUCP> shite@unf7.UUCP (Stephen Hite) writes:
> What is the latest version of HyperBBS?  The info-mac archive's version is
> well over a year old.

That's still the latest version. I haven't had the spare bandwidth to work
on it any more since the initial release. Something about working at Apple
and having a daughter just sorta sucks up all the free time I've got. In
particular, I never did get the HyperCard-based user side done.

Of course, the really neat thing about HyperBBS is that it's very easy to
change if you don't like the existing caller interface. So you can build
something more tailored to your users if you want.