[comp.sys.mac.comm] Ether Appletalk Bridge on a Mac ?

sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA (06/01/90)

Hiya,

     The subject says it all.  We have a Mac II with an ethernet board
and we would like it to act as a bridge between AppleTalk and
Ethernet.  Is this possible ?  If so, what software/hardware do we
need ?

	thanx in advance
	  maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      ...!alberta!calgary!sharp

Jim.Matthews@dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) (06/01/90)

In article <1990Jun1.002008.19285@calgary.uucp>, sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA writes:
>      The subject says it all.  We have a Mac II with an ethernet board
> and we would like it to act as a bridge between AppleTalk and
> Ethernet.  Is this possible ?  If so, what software/hardware do we
> need ?

Apple's Internet Router will route AppleTalk packets between networks using
a variety of media (including ethernet and twisted-pair, i.e. LocalTalk).
This is a good solution if you just want to give machines on either side
of the router access to AppleTalk services (i.e. LaserWriter printing,
AppleShare file servers, MS Mail/QuickMail/Inbox mail servers, etc.) on
the other side.

Network Resources Corp. has announced a software router for Mac IIs that
routes AppleTalk and also acts as an AppleTalk-IP gateway, so you can run
TCP/IP applications (such as Telnet, FTP, news) from Macs on LocalTalk and
support AUFS-style file servers on IP machines.  They can be reached at
408-263-8100 for more information.

--
Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development