[comp.sys.mac.comm] How do I download?

RLS112@psuvm.psu.edu (05/25/90)

      I'm new to netnews and have read many articles about downloading
shareware and freeware from various sources.  I'd like to do this too,
but I don't know how to contact the program sources or how to get the
programs once I have. Could some kind, experienced user give me a hand?

                                                     Thanks,
                                                       Ron
Please send any replies to RLS@PSUVM.

JAH4@psuvm.psu.edu (JEFFREY A. HAMMAN) (05/25/90)

In article <90145.092507RLS112@psuvm.psu.edu>, <RLS112@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>      I'm new to netnews and have read many articles about downloading
>shareware and freeware from various sources.  I'd like to do this too,
>but I don't know how to contact the program sources or how to get the
>programs once I have. Could some kind, experienced user give me a hand?
>
>                                                     Thanks,
>                                                       Ron

          Ron, if you are in the Computer Center, there is a Student
          Support Office in room 227C that is staffed with several
          consultants.  Stop in...we would be glad to sit down with
          you and talk about your situation.  I'm not sure what
          communications package you are using or what options you
          are looking for (modem download vs. FTP) so it would be
          less time for you to stop in than reply E-mail.

                                           Jeffrey Hamman JAH4@psuvm.bitnet
                                           Coordinator, Student Support
                                           The Pennsylvanina State University
                                           227C Computer Building
                                           University Park, Pa.  16801
                                           (814) 865-2160

cafe@cbnewse.att.com (richard.dib) (05/29/90)

I am posting this answer because a month ago I was in the same
situation as he is and I know there are some people around trying to
figure this out.

In article <90145.092507RLS112@psuvm.psu.edu>, RLS112@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>       I'm new to netnews and have read many articles about downloading
> shareware and freeware from various sources.  I'd like to do this too,
> but I don't know how to contact the program sources or how to get the
> programs once I have. Could some kind, experienced user give me a hand?
>
>                                                      Thanks,
>                                                        Ron
> Please send any replies to RLS@PSUVM.

This is How I do it :

1. Connect to a ftp site using the command "pftp" as shown :

		pftp ftp_site

   One of the ftp sites where you can find programs is

		   sumex-aim.stanford.edu

   but there are many others.

2. type "anonymous" at the login and whatever you want at the password.

3. Once in the ftp site use ls to see the directory where you are
   located and cd to move.  Just unix commands.

4. To download a file use the command "get filename". This will make a copy
   of the file in your unix machine.

5. Once in your machine, use the exptool command "macxbin" to
   convert the file from BinHex format to binary format.
   Try "toolman macxbin" to get more info.

6. Download the file to your mac with RedRider, MicroPhone or anyother
   comm program.  To do this use the exptool command "umodem".

   1. First type "umodem -sb file_to_download" in the unix machine.
   2. Look in the pull down menus of the mac for any "RECEIVE XMODEM..."
      entry and execute it.
   3. After Pressing "OK" the file will be transfered.

                        Hope this helps !!!

Richard Dib
AT&T Bell Labs

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (05/30/90)

Just two comments.  First, from here the connect command is
simply "ftp", so that might vary from place to place.  Second,
I believe it is considered polite when logging in anonymous to
furnish your mail-id as password, thus for me it would be:

jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
-------
Josh Hayes, Zoology Department, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
voice: 513-529-1679      fax: 513-529-6900

         miamiu.bitnet (good)                | Mister Policeman,
        /                                    | what is it that
jahayes@-miamiu.acs.muohio.edu (also good)   | makes America
        c                                    | great?
         miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (not so good) |

stoffel@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Stoffel) (06/04/90)

In article <90149.155236JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET> JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET writes:
>Just two comments.  First, from here the connect command is
>simply "ftp", so that might vary from place to place.  Second,
>I believe it is considered polite when logging in anonymous to
>furnish your mail-id as password, thus for me it would be:
>
>jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu
>
>Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Good point. It may not hurt to also remind new netters to avoid doing
anonymous ftp'ing during normal work hours at the site. (I don't know
what the official guidance might be, but I generally try to do my transfers
before 0600 or after 1700 local time at the remote site). Please, somebody
also correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill
stoffel@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil