[comp.sys.mac.comm] Layers 1.0 and the last line

kahn@wucs1.wustl.edu (Michael Kahn) (06/14/90)

Has anybody else had problems with Layers getting confused on the last
line of a screen.  It shows up using the command 'more -cd' to list
files larger than one screen and goes away with 'more -d'.  With the
'-c' option present, the last line gets overwritten with spaces
(although I can see it being written correctly before it gets
overwritten); with the '-c' option absent, the last line is correct.
It's not exactly a problem with the last physical line on the screen
because I see the same problem when I limit the number of lines to
less than 24.

Also in vi, when inserting lines at the bottom of the screen, the lines
don't visually scroll so it seems as if you're writing on top of the
previous line.  When you redisplay the screen however, the insertions,
in fact, are correct.

I've played with both the layers-supplied termcap, and some of the
enumerable variations of vt100 entries on our Sun-4 w/o avail.

Can others confirm this behavior? Any solutions?

Michael Kahn
(kahn@informatics.WUSTL.EDU)
         Michael G. Kahn, Department of Internal Medicine, Box 8121
	 Washington University Medical School, St. Louis MO 63110
kahn@wucs1.WUSTL.EDU - Internet
kahn@wucs1.wustl - bitnet           uunet!wucs1!kahn - UUCP

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.114910.26055@cec1.wustl.edu>, kahn@wucs1 (Michael
Kahn) writes:
>Has anybody else had problems with Layers getting confused on the last
>line of a screen.

I've seen screen updating problems with Layers while running Emacs under
SunOS4.1.

Sam

werner@cs.utexas.edu (Werner Uhrig) (06/15/90)

> Has anybody else had problems with Layers getting confused on the last
> line of a screen.

        yes, it is a known bug (in the sense that we know it exists but we
        do not know what causes it)

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (06/16/90)

I haven't had problems with the last character of a line but I have
had problems transfering files.  The macbput program distributed with
MacLayers doesn't seem to do the job.... or more correctly, MacLayers
doesn't seem to like the format of macbput.  MacLayers doesn't seem to
work with xmodem, macput, mbput or any other varient that I've tried.

Any solutions?

ghe@comphy.PHYSICS.ORST.EDU (Guangliang He) (06/16/90)

In article <8777@potomac.ads.com> jtn@potomac.UUCP (John T. Nelson) writes:

| I haven't had problems with the last character of a line but I have
| had problems transfering files.  The macbput program distributed with
| MacLayers doesn't seem to do the job.... or more correctly, MacLayers
| doesn't seem to like the format of macbput.  MacLayers doesn't seem to
| work with xmodem, macput, mbput or any other varient that I've tried.
|
| Any solutions?

I had some problem with macbput and layers before. But after a while, I
found that the problem only happens when I going through the indirect
connection (such as a terminal server, or rlogin from the one machine to
other). As long as I keep the connection directly, everything works fine. As
a matter of the fact, I just sent back a hqx file while I was typing this
article here. :-). I'm happy with layers and macbput.

One little problem, I am having problem sending those xxx.sit_bin files with
macbput. Anyone knows how?
                            Guangliang He

                            ghe@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
                            hegl@ORSTVM.BITNET

newton@cs.utexas.edu (Peter Newton) (06/16/90)

> One little problem, I am having problem sending those xxx.sit_bin
> files with macbput. Anyone knows how?

I do it all the time with MacLayers.  To send a mac binary format file
using macput or macbput, it must first be split into three forks.  I
do this by first using mcvert -U to create a binhex file and then
using xbin to split it.  Both mcvert and xbin are UNIX(R) utilities
available on BBS's.  You can make a shell script to do it all in one
step, if you like.  I never bothered.

Peter Newton
Computer Sciences, TAY 2.124       (512) 471-9735
University of Texas at Austin      newton@cs.utexas.edu
Austin, TX  78712-1188          ...{uunet|gatech|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!newton