[comp.sys.mac.comm] Simple questions on MacTCP

mak@cs.nott.ac.uk (Martijn Koster) (06/26/90)

Hello netters,

I am considering doing a project on a Mac, in which I need a TCP
connection to a local UNIX machine. I know APDA has a MacTCP driver,
and I have two questions about it:

- Can it be accessed from ThinkC 4.0 ? Is anybody using this?
- What documentation / books on developing with this driver are recommended?
- Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?
- can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?

Thanks very much in advance

-- Martijn Koster

resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/27/90)

mak@cs.nott.ac.uk (Martijn Koster) writes:
>Hello netters,

>I am considering doing a project on a Mac, in which I need a TCP
>connection to a local UNIX machine. I know APDA has a MacTCP driver,
>and I have two questions about it:

>- Can it be accessed from ThinkC 4.0 ? Is anybody using this?

Yes, I am using it from ThinkC 4.0 now. The #include files need a little
adjustment (like, you can't typedef pascal functions), but it is working
fine for me.

>- What documentation / books on developing with this driver are recommended?

The driver comes with programming documentation, and of Inside Mac 2 for
the device driver calls. I've gotten a lot of help from a lot of people
in-the-know, so it might take more than that.

>- Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?
>- can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?

The normal Telnet (2.2 and 2.3 to my knowledge) each want control of
the Ethernet board if you are running with that setup (I can't say for
a Localtalk-Ethernet gateway setup), so you won't be able to use both.
Telnet is, of course, available for use with MacTCP, which gives the
ability for multiple TCP streams simultaneously.

Hope that helps.
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (06/27/90)

>>- Are there any special things, like incompatibilities with other sw?
>>- can the normal NCSA TelNet 2.2 be used when the driver is installed?
>
>The normal Telnet (2.2 and 2.3 to my knowledge) each want control of
>the Ethernet board if you are running with that setup (I can't say for
>a Localtalk-Ethernet gateway setup), so you won't be able to use both.
>Telnet is, of course, available for use with MacTCP, which gives the
>ability for multiple TCP streams simultaneously.

There is a version of NCSA Telnet 2.3 that works just for MacTCP.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@gwusun.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853