[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mews response for Ken Baker

charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au (Charles Lakos) (06/28/90)

I know the following message should have been sent by email, but none of
the 8 or so combinations of address would get this to the relevant uucp
machine.  Sorry.

> From: kab%adpplz%murtoa.cs.mu.oz@uunet.uu.net (Ken Baker)
>
> Dear Charles,
> I have been working with your Mews stack on a Mac II. I have a
> ethernet network talking to several Motorola Unix boxes using MacTCP.
> Most of it works well with only a few exceptions. That is where I have
> questions.
> First when I try to save a news item I get a directory error(1):-35
> I have tried both releases of the stack (1.3.1 & 1.3.2) and both of them
> get this message.

Sorry for the dreadful message.  To the best of my knowledge (and hence
comment at the end of the Mews documentation) this only arises if Mews
cannot open or find the directory specified on the Config card.  I
think the directory name should be a full pathname, i.e. disk:folder:folder
etc.

> Secondly, Is there a way to transfer the newsgroup list and articles
> read from the 1.3.1 stack to the 1.3.2 stack? This would make things
> much easier than selecting them all.

If you are on the newsgroup list card, clicking on the Save button will save
the newsgroup list (default name .newsrc, though not compatible with rn),
and clicking on the Recal button will allow you to read the list from a
file.

> Other than that it seems to work very well. I have a few problems of
> my own with my daemons on the Unix side but I'm getting them squared away.
> Thank you very much for your time and assistance!
>
> Sincerely,
> Ken A. Baker
>

> Ken Baker                                       ADP Dealer Services (Plaza R&D)
> kab@adpplz.UUCP                  . . .
tektronix!nosun!cvedc!mcspdx!adpplz!kab
> Voice: (503) 294-4200 ext. 2528      . . .
uunet!apple!motcsd!mcspdx!adpplz!kab

Nice to hear it!  Regards.

-----
Charles Lakos,                               charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science,
University of Tasmania,
Australia.