[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTCP domain server set not working

cherry@mgh-coffee.harvard.edu (Mike Cherry) (06/28/90)

I'm having trouble getting the domain name server to work in MacTCP
1.0.1 on a MacIIcx.  As long as I know the IP address I can Telnet via
NCSA Telnet for MacTCP everywhere in the world I have tried.  I can even
ping the Mac from computers in California.  However I can not get the
nameserver to work.  I've monitored the network traffic coming from the
MacIIcx and the FastPath 4 gateway and no nameserver patches (port 53)
are being sent.  I have tried a variety of setups either adding the
local and/or root nameservers into the domain server fields with TCP Admin
and/or adding the file Hosts to the System Folder.  In the past I've
successfully setup client nameservers under SunOS and VMS with no
problem, so I thought I knew what I was doing.

Configuration: MacIIcx running system 6.0.5, MacTCP 1.0.1, FastPath 4
with K-STAR 7.0, Mac is on PhoneNet, PhoneNet side of FastPath is
different subnet than the ethernet side.  INITs and CDEVs: Eradicat'm,
SUM Partition, SUM Shield, SuperClock!, CD Remote, Warning, Moire,
Vaccine, ADSP, FlashIt.  The FastPath K-STAR configuration also knows
the IP address of our domains nameserver which is across a couple cisco
bridges from the FastPath.  Using the NCSA Telnet with UDP complete
hostnames are resolved.

Any suggestions?

Mike Cherry
cherry@mgh-coffee.harvard.edu

cherry@mgh-coffee.uucp (Mike Cherry) (06/29/90)

In article <3337@husc6.harvard.edu> cherry@mgh-coffee.harvard.edu (Mike Cherry) writes:
>I'm having trouble getting the domain name server to work in MacTCP
>1.0.1 on a MacIIcx.  As long as I know the IP address I can Telnet via
>NCSA Telnet for MacTCP everywhere in the world I have tried.  ......

Thanks to Don Rainwater (rainwatr@ucunix.san.uc.edu) and Michael
Crawford (escher@apple.com) my resolvers are working.  My problem was
that the NCSA Telnet uses its own resolver and it is configured in the
config.tel file in the system folder.  I also learned of HyperFTP
(available from sumex-aim in the comm directory) which uses MacTCP's
resolver and allows FTP access to the internet from a Mac.  The
HyperCard NewsReader 1.2.1 stack (available from apple.com in the
pub/dts/mac/stack directory) also works.  HyperFTP and the NewsReader
use MacTCP's domainname resolver.

Mike Cherry
Mass General Hospital

resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/29/90)

This one will bum you a little. NCSA Telnet for MacTCP does not use
the MacTCP domain name resolver; it still uses the one in the original
NCSA Telnet. Therefore, you have to have nameserver entries in your
config.tel file to get nameservers to work for you. Hopefully in 2.4,
this might change (at least, I've put in my request to them!).

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC