[comp.sys.mac.comm] Problem with .SIT files on VAX

ireland@ac.dal.ca (06/30/90)

Most of the sites which offer anonymous ftp that I've come across have the
mac programs in binhex format and I can download these programs without
any problems.  I've come across a couple of ftp sites recently which have
programs in .SIT format.  I suspect that I could download these files direct
to a Mac without problem, but I don't have ethernet in my mac, so I do
my ftping from the universities VAX 8800, which puts the .SIT files on the
VAX.  I then download the files from the VAX to my mac using the kermit
protocol in White Knight.  When I try to unstuff these files on the mac,
STuffit hangs the mac.  As a test, I uploaded a .SIT file from my mac to the
VAX and then downloaded it.  When trying to unstuff this test file, Stuffit
again hangs the mac.  How does one upload and download .SIT files to/from
a VAX?  Thanks for your help.

Keith Conover
Biochemistry Dept.
Dalhousie University
Keith@ac.dal.ca

ac08@vaxb.acs.unt.edu ((C. Irby)) (07/01/90)

In article <1737@ac.dal.ca>, ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:
> Most of the sites which offer anonymous ftp that I've come across have the
> mac programs in binhex format and I can download these programs without
> any problems.  I've come across a couple of ftp sites recently which have
> programs in .SIT format.  I suspect that I could download these files direct
> to a Mac without problem, but I don't have ethernet in my mac, so I do
> my ftping from the universities VAX 8800, which puts the .SIT files on the
> VAX.  I then download the files from the VAX to my mac using the kermit
> protocol in White Knight.  When I try to unstuff these files on the mac,
> STuffit hangs the mac.  As a test, I uploaded a .SIT file from my mac to the
> VAX and then downloaded it.  When trying to unstuff this test file, Stuffit
> again hangs the mac.  How does one upload and download .SIT files to/from
> a VAX?  Thanks for your help.

File type problem!
Stuffit archives are *not* text files.

When you FTP, make sure to set the file protocol to binary...
at the * prompt, just type it:

*binary
*get file.name

The White Knight problem is probably the same- check your settings
to see if the kermit is going for a binary transfer.

--
                       \
C Irby                  \   "The following will be a test of the