[comp.sys.mac.comm] NCSA Telnet and MacTCP

rjohnson@seas.gwu.edu (Ray Johnson) (06/30/90)

I recently saw a posting about someone having trouble getting NCSA
Telnet to do name resolution with MacTCP.  I'm having the same
trouble.  Could some kind soul help me out?  I would have just
asked the other person but I lost the posting.

Thanks.

--
Ray Johnson
Internet: rjohnson@gwusun.gwu.edu       Phone: (202)994-6853

resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (06/30/90)

I just sent you both responses by e-mail (i.e. others need not answer :))

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark Murphy) (07/03/90)

   I need to hook up the macs in my office to our UNIX machine.  We have
SCO Unix running on a 386.  I was wondering if I can access the UNIX system
through the Macs without running serial lines to each mac.  I'd like to use
AppleTalk since I have a FlashCard for the 386.  I see a lot of messages on
this newsgroup which talk about Ethernet connections but not AppleTalk
connections.
   My question is this:  Can I get terminal emulation through the AppleTalk
network or do I definately need to go Ethernet?  Which ever way I need to go,
what do I need on the Mac side (NSCS Telnet?) and what do I need on the
SCO UNIX side?
   Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks...

mark - still getting use to UNIX!

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (07/06/90)

In article <1990Jul3.164327.185@dhw68k.cts.com>, mrx@dhw68k.cts.com (Mark
Murphy) writes:
> My question is this:  Can I get terminal emulation through the AppleTalk
> network or do I definately need to go Ethernet?  Which ever way I need to go,
> what do I need on the Mac side (NSCS Telnet?) and what do I need on the
> SCO UNIX side?

Yes you can get terminal emulation through AppleTalk, but you need to have
a TCP on the UNIX side that knows about the AppleTalk hardware.

If the SCO TCP/IP doesn't know how to deal with AppleTalk cards then you
will have to use Ethernet.

In either case you will need to have TCP/IP on the UNIX box, and some anyone
of the following on the Mac:

NCSA Telnet (Vt102, tek4014)
Stanford MacIP (Vt100)
Ungermann Bass UWS (Vt100 (?))
Novell HostAccess (Vt100)
InterCon TCP/Connect II (VT241,tek4014,IBM 3278)

You may use MacTCP with most of these as well if you wish, or the respective
builtin TCP.

You could also use a GatorBox, or a FastPath to connect your AppleTalk (just
the Macs) to the Ethernet.  That way you would only need to get one Ethernet
card for the UNIX box and just use the builtin AppleTalk for the Macs.

Hope that helps.

--
InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890