[comp.sys.mac.comm] Multiple serial port cards for Mac II?

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (07/08/90)

I'm trying to find a NuBus card for the Mac II that offers multiple
serial ports.  It seems that SuperMac's Comm card no longer exists.
Is this true?

When you install a card to provide multiple serial ports, how does
the computer handle the extra ports?  Does it need to convince the
software that it's talking to the modem or printer port?  Is there
software available that knows how to handle extra ports?  Am I
babbling? :-)

--
Mark H. Anbinder        *************************  mha@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Computers          *                 *******  ...!batcomputer!memory!mha

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (07/09/90)

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:

>I'm trying to find a NuBus card for the Mac II that offers multiple
>serial ports.  It seems that SuperMac's Comm card no longer exists.
>Is this true?

The SuperMac Comm card is now available from Taniwha Systems in Berkeley.
There is also the Creative Solutions dual- and four-port serial cards.

>When you install a card to provide multiple serial ports, how does
>the computer handle the extra ports?  Does it need to convince the
>software that it's talking to the modem or printer port?  Is there
>software available that knows how to handle extra ports?  Am I
>babbling? :-)

It depends on the card.  If you want compatibility with future software,
look for cards that support the Macintosh Communications Toolbox (both Taniwha
and Creative Solutions support the CTB), and also provide driver-level support
for software that is easily extended, such as MicroPhone II 3.0.
Any software and hardware that supports the CTB will be the best over the long
run, although the software developers are still working on CTB support...
(as far as I know)

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (07/09/90)

In article <42786@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:
|mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
|
|>I'm trying to find a NuBus card for the Mac II that offers multiple
|>serial ports.  It seems that SuperMac's Comm card no longer exists.
|>Is this true?
|
|The SuperMac Comm card is now available from Taniwha Systems in Berkeley.
|There is also the Creative Solutions dual- and four-port serial cards.
|
|>When you install a card to provide multiple serial ports, how does
|>the computer handle the extra ports?  Does it need to convince the
|>[Babbling deleted]
|
|It depends on the card.  If you want compatibility with future software,
|look for cards that support the Macintosh Communications Toolbox (both Taniwha
|and Creative Solutions support the CTB), and also provide driver-level support
|for software that is easily extended, such as MicroPhone II 3.0.
|Any software and hardware that supports the CTB will be the best over the long
|run, although the software developers are still working on CTB support...
|(as far as I know)

What about A/UX?  I have a terminal I would like to eventually connect to
an A/UX box.

Jeff

--
Jefferson Eric Noxon            | In front of every silver lining is a dark
jeffn%nuchat.uucp@uhnix1.uh.edu | cloud.

eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) (07/09/90)

In article <42786@apple.Apple.COM> austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) writes:

> mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) writes:
>
> >When you install a card to provide multiple serial ports, how does
> >the computer handle the extra ports?  Does it need to convince the
> >software that it's talking to the modem or printer port?  Is there
> >software available that knows how to handle extra ports?  Am I
> >babbling? :-)
>
> It depends on the card.  If you want compatibility with future software,
> look for cards that support the Macintosh Communications Toolbox (both Taniwha
> and Creative Solutions support the CTB), and also provide driver-level support
> for software that is easily extended, such as MicroPhone II 3.0.
> Any software and hardware that supports the CTB will be the best over the long
> run, although the software developers are still working on CTB support...
> (as far as I know)

I have been using Taniwha's CommCard with a good deal of success. However, there
is a major problem with most Mac applications. Specifically:

	Most Mac applications currently think that there are _only_ _two_ _serial_
	_ports_. Thus, these applications only allow you to pick from either the
	printer port or the modem port, i.e., they will completely ignore _any_
	serial cards you might place in _any_ Mac.

Some Mac applications (e.g., the latest version of Versaterm) allow you to
select serial ports which are on serial card, but most do not.

This is a plea to Mac software vendors: Please consider the fact that some
Macs can have more than just the two "standard" serial ports. At least give
me the _option_ of choosing a serial port other than the printer port and
the modem port.

				-- Ed

Edward V. Berard                                | Phone: (301) 353-9652
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 353-9272
18620 Mateney Road                              | E-Mail: eberard@bse.com
Germantown, Maryland 20874                      |

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (07/10/90)

In article <10511@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, I wrote:
> I'm trying to find a NuBus card for the Mac II that offers multiple
> serial ports.  It seems that SuperMac's Comm card no longer exists.
> Is this true?

Lots of people have responded with requests for any information I find,
so here it is!  Thanks to Leonard Rosenthol and Jerome Jahnke, and a
couple of other helpful people, for sending information.

The SuperMac CommCard has reverted to its developer, Paul Campbell, and
is now the Taniwha CommCard, available from Taniwha.  It's the same card,
and it comes with drivers for MacOS and A/UX 1.x and 2.0.

Other cards are the Hurdler series from Creative Solutions Inc., in 2 port
and 4 port configurations; and a four-port card from Tara Systems.
Leonard has used the Taniwha and the Hurdler, and prefers the Taniwha.  He
has not seen the Tara but hears that it is a good one.

Jerome offered the following explanation of how the Mac handles the extra
serial ports:

  "Normally, the ports have a driver which allows you to call them with a
   syntax similar to opening the 4 serial ports on the Zilog chip (2 in and 2
   out) These are opened with an OpenDriver toolbox call
   (".AIn",".AOut",".BIn",".BOut")  AIn and AOut is the modem port and BIn and
   BOut are the Printer Port. ".CIn",".COut" will be the first port on the
   card. This line will return the refNum of the input for the 1st modem on
   the card "OpenDriver('.CIn',anyRefNum)". Once you have the refNum you use
   it as you would use the Modem or the Printer Port. When there is more than
   one card installed things can get a bit tricky, but normally they will
   follow alphabetically from lowest NuBus Card Slot to Highest.

  "What the Comm Toolbox will do is work all the lowlevel Device Driver
   calls, so that you will not have to."

Leonard also added that he has three multiport cards in his computer, for
a total of ten ports, and he uses MicroPhone II to talk to them all and do
separate tasks on each all at the same time.

Enjoy!

--

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (07/12/90)

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:

>What about A/UX?  I have a terminal I would like to eventually connect to
>an A/UX box.

A/UX 2.0 supports the Comm Toolbox.  The Taniwha card works in an A/UX environ,
I'll have to check on the Creative Solutions card.

jlo@otc.otca.oz (John O_Neill) (07/14/90)

in article <10511@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) says:

> I'm trying to find a NuBus card for the Mac II that offers multiple
> serial ports.  It seems that SuperMac's Comm card no longer exists.
> Is this true?

I have been using DigiBoard's NuXi 8-port serial card for a few weeks.
It has CTB support, for MacOS and A/UX. Works fine with MacTerminal 3.0.
However, if you have EtherTalk installed, then the DigiBoard INIT causes
problems - neither the Network CDEV nor AdminTCP "see" EtherTalk or Ethernet.
The octopus cable with its 8 D-25 DTE connectors is a handful!

 --
 John O'Neill, Systems Engineer -  Apple Computer Australia Pty Ltd
 USENET: jlo@otc.oz.au