[comp.sys.mac.comm] Asynchronous Serial LaserPrinter Driver

steve@violet.berkeley.edu (Steve Goldfield) (07/16/90)

Since the mail is beginning to come requesting the following,
I am posting it and will refer any inquiries. I post it exactly
as it was sent to me and make no claims about its utility or
effectiveness.

#>By many demands, I am posting following article.
#>>From: Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca
#>Subject: More on serial line LaserWriter
#>
#>A few issues back in Info-Mac, I gave a description of turning the
#>LaserWriter driver into a serial port PostScript driver. Since then
#>I have received a couple of messages, mostly asking for similar
#>updates for the version 6.0 driver (are you people never satisfied
#>I also recieved a hint on doing one thing differently (see below)
#>
#>In light of that, I have applied the updates to version 6.0 of the
#>driver, and present the new formula below:
#>
#>     Resource PDEF number 125
#>        (first always write to a RfileS)
#>          location        From      To
#>         v5.2   v6.0
#>         B96    C78     `57C0'    `51C0'
#>         B9A    C7C     `56C0'    `50C0'
#>         BA2    C84     `57C0'    `50C0'     (`51C0' for Laser Prep)
#>         BAA    C8C     `57C1'    `51C1'     (`50C1' for Laser Prep)
#>         BB8    C9A     `57C1'    `50C1'
#>        (the hint on doing this part differently was to modify resource
#>        DITL number -8191 to make the RDisk FileS box visible. The
#>        problem I had with this is that the box doesn't stay RtickedS
#>        between uses of the driver, so you have to retick the box each
#>        time. This didn't do me much good since I always want to send
#>        the print job to the serial port. Sf I am missing something, I
#>        hope someone will let me know.)
#>
#>        (next don't create a file (still in resource PDEF/125))
#>            location          From         To
#>          v5.2    v6.0    V5.2    V6.0
#>         D96      E9E    '554F'  '558F'    `6038'
#>
#>        (next, don't do _SetFOF)
#>            location          From        To
#>          v5.2    v6.0
#>          142C    1860       '660C'      '600C'
#>
#>     Resource STR number -8191
#>        Change this from "PostScript" to ".BOut" for the printer port,
#>        or ".AOut" for the modem port.
#>
#>     Resource STR number -8159
#>        Change to a useful message instead of "Creating PostScript File".
#>        For example "Sending print job to Unix".
#>
#>     Resource PAPA number -8192
#>        Change the name of the printer if you want to.
#>
#>  Ray Davison
#>  Simon Fraser university
#>  Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca
#>
#>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
#>
#>I tried this hacked LaserWriter Driver and worked very well with
#>HP Laserprinter IIP with Data Pacific Postcript Catridge and
#>worked very well except speed of serial port is fixed to 9600.
#>Including Laser Prep does not work and I tried to mail to Ray
#>Davidson but his account is no longer there.
#>I like to hear what you have done.
#>Pacific data told me that Postcript catridge with Macdriver for HP
#>Laserprinters will be released next week.
#>
#>John Lee ir648@sdcc6.ucsd.edu