[comp.sys.mac.comm] LT bridge with ISDN interface

Nielsen_AD@cc.curtin.edu.au (07/12/90)

Hello, does anyone know of a device which will bridge LocalTalk networks
using an ISDN interface?  We're looking at the Shiva TeleBridge, but it has
a standard sort of serial interface, so if there's a product out there that's
built with ISDN in mind, it would save us buying expensive adaptors.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew D. Nielsen         ACSnet  : Nielsen_AD@cc.cut.oz.au
Programmer                Internet: Nielsen_AD@cc.curtin.edu.au
School of Physiotherapy   Bitnet  : Nielsen_AD%cc.curtin.edu.au@cunyvm.bitnet
Curtin University         PSImail : psi%050529452300030::Nielsen_AD
Selby St                  UUCP    : uunet!munnari.oz!cc.curtin.edu.au!TNIELSENA
Shenton Park WA 6008      Tel     : +61 9 381 0600
AUSTRALIA                 FAX     : +61 9 381 1496

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (07/13/90)

In article <2827.269c4cd5@cc.curtin.edu.au> Nielsen_AD@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>Hello, does anyone know of a device which will bridge LocalTalk networks
>using an ISDN interface?

Try the SyncRouter from Engage Communications, Inc.
			9053 Soquel drive, Suite 201
			Aptos CA  95003-4034
			Voice (408) 688-1021
			Fax   (408) 688-1421

We are using one over a 56kbs DDS ckt without any problems.  They
say they support ISDN and any Sync link up to 512kbs!  A pair of
SyncRouters is ~$3,500.

Nothing to disclaim, no financial stake in Engage, just a happy
customer.

--
   "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine,
    but it is queerer than we can imagine."  J.B.S. Haldane

geo@ditsyda.oz (George Bray) (07/18/90)

in article <2827.269c4cd5@cc.curtin.edu.au>, Nielsen_AD@cc.curtin.edu.au says:

> Hello, does anyone know of a device which will bridge LocalTalk networks
> using an ISDN interface?  We're looking at the Shiva TeleBridge, but it has
> a standard sort of serial interface, so if there's a product out there that's
> built with ISDN in mind, it would save us buying expensive adaptors.

The Solana H-Server has a synchronous interface with V.35 connector
which runs to 64Kbps. The brochure specifically mentions ISDN and T1
connections. In Australia call Netcomm 02-888-5533. Solana gear
is typically junk.

The SyncRouter from Engage Communciations also has a V.35 interface
to 56Kbps. It's US$1895 and has no distributor in Oz at present.
"The maximum speed it is interconnecting networks is at 512 kilobits"

Apple have indicated that their ISDN card will support AppleTalk at
a date later than the initial release. Infosphere said Liaison
might work with it when released.

hope this helps,

geo

--
George Bray              >                        Telephone:    +61-2-411-3222
Avante Systems           >   Earthnet:   peg:geo  Facsimile:    +61-2-415-2212