[comp.sys.mac.comm] HyperFTP - why no directories?

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (07/18/90)

From the docs of HyperFTP, I think it is supposed to show you
directories in the file list, so you can double click on them
and it will do a set directory. So why doesn't it show directories?
I've tried it to several local sites, and it will list files
with no problem, but it refuses to show me sub-directories. Is it
a bug in HyperFTP or do I have something wrong?

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Vergilium vidi tantum.					- Ovid

masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter) (07/19/90)

Hyperftp-12 seems to have some new code to fix problems with
directories on Vaxen. In general, however, the FTP protocol doesn't
specify enough what the result of the "LIST" command should look like;
for directories, file names, etc.

I'd guess that your 'local site' wasn't a 4.2BSD-based Unix (e.g.,
Sun) or a Vax.

--
Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC)

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (07/19/90)

In <MASINTER.90Jul18231210@minuet.parc.xerox.com> masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter) writes:

>Hyperftp-12 seems to have some new code to fix problems with
>directories on Vaxen. In general, however, the FTP protocol doesn't
>specify enough what the result of the "LIST" command should look like;
>for directories, file names, etc.

>I'd guess that your 'local site' wasn't a 4.2BSD-based Unix (e.g.,
>Sun) or a Vax.

It appears that the problem is the ftpd that I have on a couple
machines locally. It is the dkuug version of the ftpd from bsd 4.3,
and there must be some difference in the way it does NLSTs. Hyperftp
1.[12] does list directories when I connect to other Suns, and
MicroVaxen, but not the ones with this ftpd.

thanks for the followups and mail messages.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
Ronald Reagan: As long as there is breath in this body, I will speak and work,