[comp.sys.mac.comm] Pier-to-Pier File Transfer Wanted

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (07/19/90)

I am part of a very large wide area network (WAN) that
has Macs in various parts of the world.  Because of
some corporate dictates, AppleTalk is not allowed to
leave our local (fairly large) LAN.  All other IP
traffic is allowed.  In fact, we can use TelNet to
access and FTP to/from any of our computer systems in
the world.

Via other computer hosts, we have been able to send files
to remote Macintosh LAN's by binhex'ing the file and then
ftp up to a common host, then ftp'ing it down again, followed
by a un-binhex.  Whew.  This works but is a bit much for
most of my users to put up with.

What I really want to do is be able to transfer files
directly.  I am currently using the BYU version of
NCSA TelNet that allows ftp sessions from one mac to
another.  One mac must be running the BYU version of TelNet
while the other can be running any version of TelNet.
This has worked but appears "buggy".

The single constant bug I am running into is as follows.
Start the ftp session, use bin to switch to binary mode,
then do an ls to see where I am (which is suppose to switch
back to ascii mode).  The ls does not work at that point
and most other commands appear to be corrupted from
then on.

If I do the ls first, then the bin, the following file
transfer appears to work fine.  Sometimes the file arrives
as 0K, which may be caused by macbinary not being enabled.
I do not have enough experience yet to determine an accurate
reliable way to transfer files with BYU TelNet.

Worse yet, if I get in this corrupt mode, it appears that
it requires restarting telnet on both macs to get going again.
This can be a real problem if the other mac is 12 time zones
away.

I have heard of commercial versions of TelNet that have
ftp capability (TCP Connect).  Does anyone have info on
this package or others that may be available?

Another approach we are following is utilizing Microsoft Mail
coupled with Gator-Mail by Cayman Systems.  Gator-Mail is
an smtp gateway for MS Mail.  This allows us to mail to
the vast majority of the hosts in our WAN.  Gator-Mail also
supports enclosures (via uuencode and uudecode) that are
automatically encoded, sent and decoded!  Once we get this
mail tool running on the other remote Mac systems, we can
just mail them files as enclosures (via other mail hosts).
This will be as transparent a file transfer as any for my
users.

Thanks for any information or help.
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Division           =
=                  uunet: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=               internet: motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net                     =
=              Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

planting@hobbes.cs.pitt.edu (Harry Plantinga) (07/21/90)

In article <4228@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>Subject: Re: Pier-to-Pier File Transfer Wanted

I think you'll need a ship, but perhaps an underwater phone cable will
do the job.

han@apple.COM (Byron Han) (07/21/90)

Advanced Software Concepts has a connection tool TCPack which works with
all applications that use the Connection Manager in the Communications
Toolbox (MacTerminal 3.0, VersaTerm Pro, and others).

This connection tool has a built in FTP server.

Does this meet your needs?

Disclaimer:
This is not an official product endorsement.
I have no connection with Synergy Software or Advanced Software Concepts
except as a beta tester of their products.  This is not a advertisement
for MacTerminal 3.0.

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Architect  "Tanning 100 hrs/wk and loving it!"
Apple Computer, Inc.              --------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

monty@tempone.Central.Sun.COM (Monty Solomon) (07/21/90)

In article <9288@goofy.Apple.COM> han@apple.COM (Byron Han) writes:
>Advanced Software Concepts has a connection tool TCPack which works with
>all applications that use the Connection Manager in the Communications
>Toolbox (MacTerminal 3.0, VersaTerm Pro, and others).

Where does one get MacTerminal 3.0?

Is it a free upgrade for MacTerminal owners?

Thanks.

--
# Monty Solomon / <monty@sunne.east.sun.com>
# PO Box 45249 / Winter Hill, MA  02145-0003