[comp.sys.mac.comm] Sending files from Mac to Ultrix with ZTerm

tcwan@umiami.miami.edu (07/06/90)

In article <2908@tellab5.tellabs.com>, kenk@sunHd.tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
> Here's a really nifty problem: with the Mac plugged into the ttyA port
> of my sun 3/80, I cannot receive files on the sun from the mac using
> ZTerm and Chuck Forsberg's rz program. I can send files just dandy
> though.  If I rlogin to the sun from another mac, I can receive files
> on the sun just dandy too. What's going on? According to the debug
> output from rz, readline is returning a timeout. But there's no reason for
> it to timeout. I'm stumped. Really baffled. Help.
> --
> Ken Konecki
> "Eat well, stay fit, and die anyway"
> e-mail:kenk@tellabs.com    -or-    ...!uunet!tellab5!kenk
> U.S. Mail: 1271 Portchester Circle, Carol Stream, IL 60188

We have the same problem here using a MicroVax running Ultrix 3.0. It'll hang
on sending files from ZTerm to the Ultrix host, but downloading from the host
has no problems (It's the fastest protocol I've found by far!). The error
message is something like "ZRPOS returns zero" and ZTerm will keep retrying.

I'm using ZTerm 0.85 and rz 3.00 dated 4-19-89.
Any clues?

T.C. Wan               --> tcwan@umiami.miami.edu (Internet)
University of Miami

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (07/08/90)

In article <6509.26939a0f@umiami.miami.edu> tcwan@umiami.miami.edu writes:
>In article <2908@tellab5.tellabs.com>, kenk@sunHd.tellabs.com (Ken Konecki) writes:
>> of my sun 3/80, I cannot receive files on the sun from the mac using
>> ZTerm and Chuck Forsberg's rz program. I can send files just dandy
>
>We have the same problem here using a MicroVax running Ultrix 3.0. It'll hang
>on sending files from ZTerm to the Ultrix host, but downloading from the host
>has no problems (It's the fastest protocol I've found by far!). The error

I'm not real sure about this but a ways back I ran into the same thing. In our
case it seemed to me that there was a problem with the UNIX host trying to keep
up with the mac (...you know, I'm IN LUV with UNIX - ick! :-). It was a hack
but by putting in the pause (effectively converting the Zmodem to Ymodem) for
going to the UNIX box seemed to solve the problem. Note also that XON XOFF
protocols can muck up the Zmodem stuff too.

(Note for Ken...If you haven't noticed, some of our vax ports are 8 bit and
some are 7. There is an inconsistency that we need to fix here that we just
haven't gotten around to yet :-) give me or Lee Schuler a call and I can
explain).

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dave Alverson) (07/23/90)

In article <6509.26939a0f@umiami.miami.edu> tcwan@umiami.miami.edu writes:

>We have the same problem here using a MicroVax running Ultrix 3.0. It'll hang
>on sending files from ZTerm to the Ultrix host, but downloading from the host
>has no problems (It's the fastest protocol I've found by far!). The error
>message is something like "ZRPOS returns zero" and ZTerm will keep retrying.
>
>I'm using ZTerm 0.85 and rz 3.00 dated 4-19-89.

There are two things to try.  First, check the "Escape Controls" option
in ZModem Parms.  Some digital switchs or term servers can swallow
some control chars and kill any transfer.  This option will cause
control chars to be sent as a two byte sequence.

Also, try putting a multiple of 512 in the Window Size option in
ZModem Parms.  This puts the protocol into a windowed mode (for
send only).  2048 is a good first guess for this option.

The message "ZRPOS <number>" is just the receiver saying Hey, I got
an error.  Please back up to file location <number>.

Also, note that some Unix box serial drivers may not be able to keep
up with data coming in full bore at 9600 bps.

  -- Dave

--
Z  Dave Alverson,   Cincinnati & Mason, Ohio
Z  Address: davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM