[comp.sys.mac.comm] Problem with MacTCP & documentation for MacTCP.

gupthaba@nunki.usc.edu (Suresha Guptha B. A) (07/25/90)

Hi everyone,
	I needed some info about MacTCP.  I am getting an error when I try to
telnet to an unix host using MacIP 4.0.  The error I get is something like this

"MacTCP reurn error -23015..Error:Connection came up halfway and then failed".

Network: local talk to ethernet thr' gator box (gator share 1.5).

If I try to telnet to some other hosts there seems to be no problem whatsoever.
I wanted to know the reason for getting this error.  Any help in this matter
is highly appreciated.

	Also we don't have the complete documentation for MacTCP.  Can someone
in the netland suggest the place where I can get this documentation (containing
error messages for MacTCP & diagnostic/troubleshooting info).

Thanks in advance.

Suresh

email:gsb@bach.caltech.edu
      suresh@macpost.caltech.edu

resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (07/25/90)

gupthaba@nunki.usc.edu (Suresha Guptha B. A) writes:

>	I needed some info about MacTCP.  I am getting an error when I try to
>telnet to an unix host using MacIP 4.0.  The error I get is something like this
>
>"MacTCP reurn error -23015..Error:Connection came up halfway and then failed".

The error code -23015 is listed as openFailed. This is indicative of
a connection that started to open but did not complete in the specified
timeout period. That means that this particular host is taking longer
than most to get a connection. I don't know MacIP 4.0, but if there
is a way to specify how long to wait for the host to connect, make it
bigger. If there is no way to do that (that would be a pain!), write
to the folks who wrote MacIP.

>	Also we don't have the complete documentation for MacTCP.  Can someone
>in the netland suggest the place where I can get this documentation (containing
>error messages for MacTCP & diagnostic/troubleshooting info).

The info on the error codes is in the programmers guide. The
documentation is available from APDA for $60 last I looked, but
it should be included with the software. Check with whoever it
is on your campus who has the original copy of MacTCP.

Good luck

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.224344.9702@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@lees.cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>The error code -23015 is listed as openFailed. This is indicative of
>a connection that started to open but did not complete in the specified
>timeout period. That means that this particular host is taking longer
>than most to get a connection.

Actually, all it means is the connection "ain't happening".  It might
be a timeout, but it also might be a connection refused, or a net
unreachable; MacTCP doesn't discriminate.  This is a pain, because
you can't give good error messages.

In all fairness, MacTCP is too low-level to give you a "net unreachable"
error in the open call itself, as that comes in over ICMP.  But to not
distinguish between "nobody home" and "somebody actively barring the door"
is unfortunate.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner