[comp.sys.mac.comm] Zterm problems/comments....

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/20/90)

Hi All,
   A friend of mine without net access is trying to use Zterm with his
Sun workstation somewhat successfully. He has a couple of comments/
problems with Zterm that he thought the net might be able to help
with.

First, somewhere in the settings for Zmodem, there is an option to
have Zterm upload to a Unix machine, which is running rz. What is this
rz program and is it (source preferably) available for FTP somewhere?

Second, if rz is unavailable for some reason, are sources to the
zmodem protocols available so my friend could write his own Unix
package?  If so, where?

Third, it seems that he can set the VT100 screen size to an arbitrary
large size and can enlarge the Zterm window to the same larger size,
but Zterm always truncates at 25 lines no matter how tall the window
is. He is working on a portrait display on the Mac, so he would like
to have VT100 addressing work with a much larger window. The Sun can
handle it, can Zterm? If not, could someone forward this comment to
the author? Thanks...

(I personally like Zterm but can't use it until it gets Kermit
protocols to talk to the various mainframes I use...)

Thanks a lot!                              ......Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

huang@husc7.harvard.edu (Howard Huang) (07/22/90)

>   Second, if rz is unavailable for some reason, are sources to the
>   zmodem protocols available so my friend could write his own Unix
>   package?  If so, where?

One place where you can get source code for sz/rz is by anonymous
ftp to uunet.uu.net.  Look in the comp.sources.unix/archive12/zmodem
directory.

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dave Alverson) (07/23/90)

In article <4728.26a5d9ab@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>What is this
>rz program and is it (source preferably) available for FTP somewhere?

It is part of a package usually called rzsz.zoo (or some other extension).
In the sumex archives, it is in the Unix directory in 4 parts:
zmodem*.shar.

>Third, it seems that he can set the VT100 screen size to an arbitrary
>large size and can enlarge the Zterm window to the same larger size,
>but Zterm always truncates at 25 lines no matter how tall the window
>is.

Several people have told me that ZTerm is one of the few programs
that will let you vi with more than 24 lines.  I haven't tested it
much/any since I only have access to 9" monitors.  There is a
problem with vt100 scrolling regions which may be causing the
difficulty.

 -- Dave

--
Z  Dave Alverson,   Cincinnati & Mason, Ohio
Z  Address: davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM

es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) (07/25/90)

In an article titled Re: Zterm problems/comments....,
     davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dave Alverson) writes:

>Several people have told me that ZTerm is one of the few programs
>that will let you vi with more than 24 lines.  I haven't tested it
>much/any since I only have access to 9" monitors.  There is a
>problem with vt100 scrolling regions which may be causing the
>difficulty.

Here's how to do it:
First, you'll need to add some of the following to your termcap entry:

d1|vt100-32|dec-vt100-32|vt10032|dec vt100-32:\
        :li#32:is=\E[1;32r\E[32;1H\E[?7h:tc=vt100:
d1|vt100-48|dec-vt100-48|vt10048|dec vt100-48:\
        :li#48:is=\E[1;48r\E[48;1H\E[?7h:tc=vt100:
d1|vt100-48-132|dec-vt100-48-132|dec vt100-48-132:\
        :co#132:tc=vt100-48:

(This assumes that vt100 is defined already which should be the case.)
Standard vt100 assumes 24 lines. The above adds entries for 32x80, 48x80 (good
for portrait displays), and 48x132 (you'll need a two page display unless you
plan on using a 7 pt font for this one).

I like to use a 32x80 window, so in a csh I would type:
set term=vt100-32; tset; stty rows 32
Your mileage may vary.

What's the status of ZTerm 0.90, Dave?

+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Edward J. Sabol               | Arpa:   es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu          |
| Carnegie Mellon University    | Bitnet: R746ES2J@CMCCVB               |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| "The streets that Balboa walked were his own private ocean and Balboa |
| was drowning." - August Wilson                                        |
+-------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

avoncampe@milkwy.enet.dec.com (Alfred von Campe) (07/25/90)

In article <8afBMMq00VICI1OXsQ@andrew.cmu.edu>, Edward John Sabol writes...
>What's the status of ZTerm 0.90, Dave?

Since it has taken this long, I assume that the next version will be 1.0 :-).
Seriously, Dave, when will we see the next release?

Alfred

+---------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| Easynet: MILKWY::AVONCAMPE                              |Work: (508) 520-5704|
|    uucp: {decvax,allegra}decwrl!dec-milkwy!avoncampe    |Home: (508) 365-3982|
|Internet: avoncampe@milkwy.enet.dec.com                  +--------------------+
+---------------------------------------------------------+    I'd rather be   |
| Why is common sense so uncommon?                        |       FLYING       |

davea@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dave Alverson) (07/26/90)

In article <8afBMMq00VICI1OXsQ@andrew.cmu.edu> es2j+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edward John Sabol) writes:

>I like to use a 32x80 window, so in a csh I would type:
>set term=vt100-32; tset; stty rows 32

I thought someone told me you only need to do the stty.  Oh well!

>What's the status of ZTerm 0.90, Dave?

I'm still waiting for you to send me your color system, so I can fix
all the color problems you reported.

 -- Dave