[comp.sys.mac.comm] RR Host Problem

psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) (07/25/90)

I recently reorganized our user groups bbs and now the file transfer
section of RR HOST is not working properly. Files that have actual
names that are longer than 12 characters will not download. I have
made sure that none of the file paths is longer than 40 characters.
I have a folder for each section that contains all the files. The
"index" file for the section is stored in the folder on some and
out of the folder on others. This makes no difference. I used the
program Catalogger to create the index files. I have checked them
using file edit and they seem to be ok. Any help would be appreciated
Please reply to one of the addresses below.

THanks in advance.

Richard Crispin              Phone:    (519)888-4781
Dept. of Psychology          Bitnet:   psych@watdcs
University of Waterloo       Internet: psych@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca
Waterloo, Ont.   Canada   N2L 3G1

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul25.120911.10250@watserv1.waterloo.edu> psych@watserv1.waterloo.edu (R.Crispin - Psychology) writes:
>I recently reorganized our user groups bbs and now the file transfer
>section of RR HOST is not working properly. Files that have actual
>names that are longer than 12 characters will not download. I have
>made sure that none of the file paths is longer than 40 characters.
>I have a folder for each section that contains all the files. The
>"index" file for the section is stored in the folder on some and
>out of the folder on others. This makes no difference. I used the
>program Catalogger to create the index files. I have checked them
>using file edit and they seem to be ok. Any help would be appreciated
>Please reply to one of the addresses below.

	Richard, what has probably happened is that Catalogger had to
	truncate some of the names of the files to have them fit into
	the 12 character description field. In some cases, hopefully
	not all there is a trailing space after the file name in the
	name field. The only way to check this is with a FileEditor
	and click in the filename field and see if you notice the cursor
	showing a trailing space and delete it. And hopefully that will
	solve your problem...

	-----

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.