[comp.sys.mac.comm] SNMP agent/client on Mac

paf@nada.kth.se (Patrik F{ltstr|m) (07/24/90)

Before I'm digging deep down in the mystery of Mac-TCP and/or
communication Toolbox with MacTCP-tool, I have a question:

Has anyone tried to write SNMP clients and/or agents on a Mac?
i.e. I want to both poll the client from another Mac or from
an ordinary Network Managment program on a UNIX mashine, say
snmpxperfmon from cmu and the other way, poll the gateway from a
Mac.

I think a better question could be:
I have heard rumors about someone that have done a layer based on
MacTCP, that implements ordinary BSD-sockets? Does anyone know anything
more about something similar so the porting of the SNMP-code can
be made more easy.

Write to me in email, and I'll summarize.

	Patrik Faltstrom <paf@nada.kth.se>
	Systems Programmer
	Royal Institute of Technology, NADA
	Stockholm, Sweden

paf@nada.kth.se (Patrik F{ltstr|m) (08/01/90)

Well, a couple of days ago I wrote an article in comp.sys.mac.wanted
abot sockets implemented on MacTCP. I got a few answeres. First some
comments from my side.

I tried the socket package one can get by anonymous ftp at
madhaus.utcs.toronto.ca (128.100.102.10). I really works!, but only
in half-duplex, and single threaded. I tried the TCP-part of it with
some small servers and small clients I've written to demonstrate sockets.
You see, one can not play around with MacTCP like sockets on a UNIX-
mashine... The Mac has crached due to internal problems in MacTCP
about 100 times before I manage to handle the half-duplex problem.
You HAVE to know what you are doing ;-)

The commercial product that intercon has have I asked for more info about,
but I have not got it yet. If anyone have tried TCP/Connect II, I'll
be more than happy to know more about what you know.

	Patrik Faltstrom <paf@nada.kth.se>
	Royal Institute of Technology, NADA
	Stockholm, SWEDEN

First my original posting, and then the few answeres I got:

Subject: SNMP agent/client on Mac

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 15:49:30 edt
From: Kurt Baumann <kdb@intercon.com>
Subject: Re: SNMP agent/client on Mac

Yes talk to either rick@intercon.com or amanda@intercon.com about this.
We are going to be doing one and giving it away for free, at least the first
implementation of it.  (those are the current plans)  This will dovetail
into a product that is on the finishing bench as we speak.  (keep your eyes
open, I think you will be interested).  We already have a SNMP agent built
into our TCP/IP, FYI.

> I think a better question could be:
> I have heard rumors about someone that have done a layer based on
> MacTCP, that implements ordinary BSD-sockets? Does anyone know anything
> more about something similar so the porting of the SNMP-code can
> be made more easy.

I think that you are thinking of Novell who changed their TCPort product
to include using MacTCP.  You might want to check with them, they have a
sockets interface for both MacTCP and their own TCP/IP.

Hope that helps.

Kurt Baumann
InterCon Systems Corporation

Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 09:59:35 PDT
From: Andy <astor@dev8j.mdcbbs.com>

>I think a better question could be:
>I have heard rumors about someone that have done a layer based on
>MacTCP, that implements ordinary BSD-sockets? Does anyone know anything
>more about something similar so the porting of the SNMP-code can
>be made more easy.

Novell Kinetics TCPort product provides somewhat of a BSD-sockets callable
library which can run under their own TCP drivers or as a layer on top
of MacTCP.  I'm using TCPort 2.0 under a non-MacTCP environment for
a telnet protocol, and its worked fine for me.  TCPort supports MPW C
and Think C.

Kinetics, a division of Excelan, Inc.
1340 Treat Boulevard, Suite 500
Walnum Creek, CA  94596
415-947-0998

You could also probably reach someone at postmaster@kinetics.com
 |    Andy Astor            |   Voice:     (714) 952-5836        |
 |    McDonnell Douglas M&E |   UUCP:     uunet!mdcbbs!astor     |
 |    Cypress, CA  90630    |   Internet: astor@mdcbbs.com       |

From: David Bellamy <bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 1990 12:32:16 EST

Try madhaus.utcs.toronto.ca (128.100.102.10).  I remember seeing a Socket
interface in the anon ftp directory when getting some other software.  I
have not tried it but they (Uni Toronto) use it as the basis of some SMTP
stuff.

Regards.

David E. Bellamy      | Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 90 15:24:34 edt
From: Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>

In article <1990Jul24.124958.22180@nada.kth.se>, you write:
> Has anyone tried to write SNMP clients and/or agents on a Mac?

We sell a couple of commercial SNMP products for the Mac:

 - Our product "TCP/Connect II" includes an SNMP agent.
 - Our product "WatchTower" is an SNMP monitoring/management station.

We've been considering doing an SNMP agent INIT for MacTCP, but the
main problem is that it is impossible to provide a full MIB (Management
Information Base) under MacTCP, since it does not provide enough of
the statistics that are needed.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation
amanda@intercon.com