[comp.sys.mac.comm] IPT Personal Server vs. other AppleShare Servers

tldavis@athena.mit.edu (Timothy L. Davis) (08/02/90)

What is the best inexpensive solution for sharing data files on an AppleShare
network?  I have tried SingleShare (shareware on sumex-aim.stanford.edu),
but it seems to be fairly buggy still.  I'm looking for a commercial-quality
file server.  I've also seen Oscar and Public Folder, but the virtual hard
disk approach is more attractive for us.

I've been told that the "IPT Personal Server Network" is what I want, at
around $150.  Is this a good quality, bug-free product?  At a good price?

I realize that publish/subscribe will be present in System 7.0, but we
cannot wait that long.  I would think that such products would lower their
prices (as did Virtual) considering their short time frame for useability.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Tim Davis
tldavis@mit.edu

geo@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (George Bray) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug2.085336.24602@athena.mit.edu> tldavis@athena.mit.edu (Timothy L. Davis) writes:

>I've been told that the "IPT Personal Server Network" is what I want, at
>around $150.  Is this a good quality, bug-free product?  At a good price?

I purchased Version 1.3 maybe three months ago and it was terrible.
Brane dead installation procedure and incompatiblities with everything.

I had to do a complete reinstallation of system software to exorcise it.

It's a hack - wait for 7.0

--
George Bray              >                        Telephone:    +61-2-411-3222
Avante Systems           >   Earthnet:   peg:geo  Facsimile:    +61-2-415-2212

shull@scrolls.wharton.upenn.edu (Christopher E. Shull) (08/09/90)

(Timothy L. Davis) writes:
>I've been told that the "IPT Personal Server Network" is what I want, at
>around $150.  Is this a good quality, bug-free product?  At a good price?

Well, I can only tell you about our experience over the past two years
with their Apollo-Mac product called uShare.  We bought the product having
seen a demonstration, only to find that the demonstration was "cooked"
and several parts of the product, which the demo whizzed by, didn't really
work.  Furthermore, the new version of the Apollo operating system broke
their software left, right and center, and after much angst, IPT finally
admitted that no one was even working on a fix, but that someone might
get to it eventually.  At this point, we cut our losses.  If they ever
fix it, they can call me -- afterall, I paid for a maintenance contract.

-Chris

Christopher E. Shull                    shull@wharton.upenn.edu
The Wharton School                      University of Pennsylvania
3620 Locust Walk                        voice: 215/898-5930
Philadelphia, PA  19104-6366            fax:   215/898-3664
"Damn the torpedoes!  Full speed ahead!"  Admiral Farragut, USN, 1801-1870

klf1305@che_sun1.tamu.edu (Kelly L. Fergason) (08/09/90)

In article <27874@netnews.upenn.edu> shull@kings.wharton.upenn.edu (Christopher E. Shull) writes:
>In article <1990Aug2.085336.24602@athena.mit.edu> tldavis@athena.mit.edu
>(Timothy L. Davis) writes:
>>I've been told that the "IPT Personal Server Network" is what I want, at
>>around $150.  Is this a good quality, bug-free product?  At a good price?
>
>Well, I can only tell you about our experience over the past two years
>with their Apollo-Mac product called uShare.  We bought the product having

	I would like to mention our experience with uShare on Sun systems.
First of all, it works well.  We don't use some of the more advanced
features.  But, every once in a while, one of the mac processes on the
Sun server goes wild.  It starts taking up about 90% of the CPU time.
And IPT says they will not be doing upgrades for our system, OS 3.5.
Oh well.

	Maybe I missed it, but would somebody tell me what the IPT
Personal Server Network is?  Just a brief description of what it is
and what it does will be fine.

Thanks

Kelly Fergason