[comp.sys.mac.comm] binhexing

mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) (08/07/90)

I have a few questions regarding binhexing and macbinary.

First, I think Zterm 0.85 has a bug in its macbinary usage.  It seems that
when I batch send macbinary files (converted from .hqx by mcvert), the
first file is done correctly (ie set to SIT!/SIT!) and everything looks fine.
For the rest of the files, however, the type is  ????/????, and when I
manually set it to SIT!/SIT!, Stuffit says it is a corrupted archive.
What is wrong here?

I like Zterm's zmodem protocol, because I have noisy phone lines, and
most other protocols give up after a few transmission errors.  So, I have
resigned myself to transferring .hqx files and unbinhexing them.  I am
now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
knew of any batch binhex applications.  SOmeone a while back posted a binhex
DA, but it doesn't work on an SE.  And there is a batch-binhex application
somewhere, but as I remember, it only works from Mac->binhex, not the
other way around.

It seems like a fairly trivial program to write, just a mcvert for the Mac.
Perhaps the author of mcvert would be willing to throw something together?

Thanks for any help.

Michael A. Schoen
AT&T Bell Laboratories (provided for identification only)
mas@ulysses.att.com

schreiber_r@wums2.wustl.edu (08/08/90)

In article <13548@ulysses.att.com>, mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) writes:

> I am
> now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
> knew of any batch binhex applications.

I don't know of any _batch_ binhex applications, but faithful Stuffit will
encode and decode BinHex files quite well. Hope this helps a little.

mh

woofy@sgi.com (Wolfchild=) (08/08/90)

In article <3762.26beff4c@wums2.wustl.edu> schreiber_r@wums2.wustl.edu writes:
>In article <13548@ulysses.att.com>, mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) writes:
>
>> I am
>> now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
>> knew of any batch binhex applications.
>
>I don't know of any _batch_ binhex applications, but faithful Stuffit will
>encode and decode BinHex files quite well. Hope this helps a little.
>
>mh

I am currently writing an application that will perform batch de-binhexing.
For the past two or three months I have watched people post to various mac
groups asking for the 8 to 6 bit and 6 to 8 bit algorithms, but noone that I
know of has ever gotten a reply.  Did the inventor die and take the recipe
with him/her, or what?  Has Yves Lemperuer (author of Binhex 4.0 and 5.0) gone
to Saturn to live with Elvis?  I've got fairly kick *ss interface just waiting
to have a binhex engine dropped into it.  Does anyone out there have a friend
of a friend of a friend who knows the magic incantation?  Much thanks in
advance for any and all help.

Andy Fabans

Andy Fabans

   /\ /\        woofy%yorgi@csd.sgi.com (Wolfchild)
    o o
    \ /     "The subliminal argument has no basis in fact.  It is simply a
     *       vehicle to pursue a case otherwise marred by the First Amendment."
                                     - Suellen Fulstone
                                          Attorney representing Judas Priest

rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) (08/08/90)

>> I am
>> now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
>> knew of any batch binhex applications.
>
> I don't know of any _batch_ binhex applications, but faithful Stuffit will
> encode and decode BinHex files quite well. Hope this helps a little.

There is a batch binhex app.  I believe that it is available on sumex.

Ray

kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) (08/08/90)

> I am
> now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
> knew of any batch binhex applications.

There is a batch binhex application - I believe it's called "Mass Binary", and
I'm not sure if it ever got past the development stage.  I think it was
first created several years ago by Yves Lempur, but it never saw much work.

Eric Larson, Fidonet 1:260/330, adopted it about a year ago, if I remember
correctly.  Try contacting him.

Internet: Eric_Larson@f330.n260.z1.fidonet.org

Lars

~ ~ | Lars Kellogg-Stedman                 | "Software rots if not used"
O-O | kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu |        - The Tao of Programming
 |  +--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
-=- |   I'm rarely responsible for what I say, do you think anybody else is?

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (08/09/90)

In article <3762.26beff4c@wums2.wustl.edu> schreiber_r@wums2.wustl.edu writes:
>In article <13548@ulysses.att.com>, mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) writes:
>
>> I am
>> now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
>> knew of any batch binhex applications.
>
>I don't know of any _batch_ binhex applications, but faithful Stuffit will
>encode and decode BinHex files quite well. Hope this helps a little.

I don't know what environment you're working in but if your binhexed files come
in through a unix machine, "mcvert" will work wonderfully for you. I can take
an entire directory of binhexed files (some of them even in parts) and with a
little naming conventions applied type "mcvert *" and go to lunch!

However, mcvert only runs on unix.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

mas@ulysses.att.com (Michael A. Schoen) (08/09/90)

In article <101740006@hpcupt1.HP.COM> rterry@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Ray Terry) writes:
>>> I am
>>> now tring DDExpand's fast unsit capabilities, and was wondering if anyone
>>> knew of any batch binhex applications.
>>
>> I don't know of any _batch_ binhex applications, but faithful Stuffit will
>> encode and decode BinHex files quite well. Hope this helps a little.
>

>There is a batch binhex app.  I believe that it is available on sumex.
>
>Ray

As I believe I mentioned in the original post, the batch-binhex app on
sumex is only capable of making Mac files into binhex form.  I want to
go the other way.  The IBM=>MAC option in the menu is disabled.

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (08/09/90)

In article <3762.26beff4c@wums2.wustl.edu> schreiber_r@wums2.wustl.edu writes:
>I don't know of any _batch_ binhex applications, but faithful Stuffit will
>encode and decode BinHex files quite well. Hope this helps a little.

Stuffit Deluxe can do batch operations through use of its scripting language.
I routinely bring new net downloads into the same folder on my HD, and end
the name of each one with ".hqx". The following Stuffit script will deBinHex
then unstuff all of those files; all I have to do is select "Process Downloads"
from my script menu...

>------ cut here ------

Decode BinHex "Bart:Chaz:*.hqx"

; Stuffit Deluxe appends the suffix ".dhx" to debinhexed files

QuickUnStuff  "Bart:Chaz:*.dhx" delete

; extracts all archives ending in ".dhx" in the folder
; "Chaz" and deletes the original archive.

<chaz>

--
       "Must think...bubble pipe will relax me and I think..."