[comp.sys.mac.comm] SYSTEM ERROR, ID=10. MacTCP, Ethernet problems?

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (08/04/90)

  I'm running a Mac IIfx with an Apple ethernet card and
8 megs of RAM. I'm using MacTCP 1.0.1 and the release versions
of TCPtool and the Communications Toolbox.
  When  I click on the MacTCP or AdminTCP CDEVs, I get
a System Error with ID=10. When I click on the Network CDEV
and then the Ethertalk [either 1.2 or 2.0] icon, I get the same system
error.
  This only happens on my IIfx and it happens with or without the
ethernet card in the slot. Everything functions normally if I move the
same hard disk to a IIci .

  Anybody who can solve this mystery, gets my eternal gratitude and a
six pack of beer.

    ---Jason  jason@cs.utexas.edu  (512) 326-9102

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (08/06/90)

In article <10857@cs.utexas.edu> jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:

>  When  I click on the MacTCP or AdminTCP CDEVs, I get
>a System Error with ID=10. When I click on the Network CDEV
>and then the Ethertalk [either 1.2 or 2.0] icon, I get the same system
>error.
>  This only happens on my IIfx and it happens with or without the
>ethernet card in the slot. Everything functions normally if I move the
>same hard disk to a IIci .

I have almost the same setup (I'm using a Kinetics EPIIN card).  I had a
similar problem with the Kinetics.  It sounds like the drivers for the
card are incompatible with the IIfx.  Are you running the latest version of
the drivers?  De-install the Ethernet drivers and see if MacTCP works ok
if with your network cdev is set for LocalTalk rather than EtherTalk.
If this is the case, get the latest drivers and try them.

/Matt

--
Matt Kingman - Pacer Software Inc. - (508)898-3300
uunet!pacvax!matt       I speak only for myself...

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (08/10/90)

  I took a clean 1.4meg diskette and installed just "System Software
for the Macintosh IIfx" on the diskette using the release system
software diskettes.
  I then copied MacTCP into the System Folder. I removed the
Ethernet card and all external SCSI devices. That leaves 8 meg
of Ram, an internal floppy drive, an internal quantum 80 meg drive, and an
Apple 13" RGB display with Apple 24 bit color card.
  I booted the IIfx using the diskette I had just created. When I
clicked on MacTCP, boom, System Error ID=10. I then rebooted on
the hard disk and zapped the PRAM, just for kicks. I then booted the
diskette again and it still bombed.
  I then took the diskette over to a local computer store where they
had a IIfx on display. I booted the diskette on the IIfx. I clicked
on MacTCP. It worked just fine. The IIfx at the computer store had
an Apple RGB display and 24 bit color card, internal 80 meg disk and
4 meg of RAM. That's all.

  Conclusion:  It's a hardware problem.

     ---Jason  jason@cs.utexas.edu  (512) 326-9102