[comp.sys.mac.comm] TCP-IP->DOS->EtherTalk->World?

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (08/14/90)

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) writes:

>I understand that EtherTalk and AppleTalk are available on DOS machines.
>Is there a device/software that will convert TCP/IP into EtherTalk or
>AppleTalk at the DOS machine level?

Lemme tell a bit about what I've learnt about mail and file sharing,
(only peripherally about TCP/IP) so far.

"DOS connectivity"--still looking into.  "Novell network"--yes.
But that elusive TCP/IP to Novell link (the other steps of physical,
mail, and file-share having been dealt with) is still evading.  There
are UNIX-based products for this; I am investigating.

For the routing/gatewaying part of the problem, the extra hardware seems
unnecessary.  In fact, running a
Novell network (2.15c with the Mac VAP) and both a LocalTalk and an
EtherNet card should solve this problem, from my conversations with many
vendors; depending on the vendor, you may or may not also need a Mac for
the mail routing on the LocalTalk side.

The Novell server acts as a gateway/router, too; that's built-in.
Probably not a valid option for people not already invested in Novell,
due to the administrative overhead.

Do explain the appeal of Gators and FastPaths; is it just that
Novell+Mac networks are unpopular, or it there a big gain in having the
more schmancy dedicated hardware for the routing?

Does anyone have comments on the DG AViiON solution, which even claims
Novel IPX/SPX compatibility?  Plus fixing all these other problems?

Hmm, Banyan appears to do it All, but their Mac file support is (at last
report) still thin late and dull.

And, more importantly, who's DONE all this and wants to talk to me about
it some more?

	Horror stories wanted,
		Alex
--
		Alex Pournelle, freelance thinker
		Also: Workman & Associates, Data recovery for PCs, Macs, others