[comp.sys.mac.comm] Hardware handshake on mac->modem connection

palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) (08/14/90)

In article <6091@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> mel@jhunix.UUCP writes:
>You need to set-up a hardware handshake cable.  Look in the 1/90
>issue of MacUser.

Is that the same as the cable diagram in the appendix of the
VersaTerm-PRO manual?

--

John Palkovic (708) 840-3527 	   palkovic@fnal.bitnet,palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
University of Wisconsin-Madison    {yclept,tellab5,obdient}!linac!palkovic

tarr-michael@cs.yale.edu (michael tarr) (08/14/90)

Actually I got things to work w/o using CTS/DTS by leaving xon/xoff in
the default mode. The initialization string I used is:
ATE1L1&C1&D2\J0\N3\Q0\G0\V1%C1
Obviously some of this is irrelevant, but it works with White Knight
running at 9600 to the modem and the modem at 2400 over the phone line.
The key thing seems to be the \Q0 rather than the recommended \Q3. Since
pin 1 is tied to pin 20 of the modem (DTR) I think this works...
Whatever -- overall I now get very fast text on the screen...

--
 * Mike Tarr                                    The Human Neuron Project  *
 * tarr@cs.yale.edu                             Department of Psychology  *

In article <2223@linac.fnal.gov> palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) writes:
>In article <6091@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> mel@jhunix.UUCP writes:
>>You need to set-up a hardware handshake cable.  Look in the 1/90
>>issue of MacUser.
>
>Is that the same as the cable diagram in the appendix of the
>VersaTerm-PRO manual?

No.  The Versaterm manual does not show a hardware handshake cable.  To make
a hardware handshake cable, connect pin 1 (DIN) to pin 4 (DB25), and pin 2
(DIN) to pin 5 (DB25) instead of what they have.

(The cable they have allows you to detect carrier and to hang up, but you can't
do RTS/CTS handshaking).

Also, you will need to force the modem to ignore DTR from the computer-- in
every modem I've seen (not too many), that has been the first switch of an
8-pin dipswitch.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?