[comp.sys.mac.comm] .hqx and UNIX ??

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) (08/13/90)

What UNIX command do you use to un-.hqx a Mac file under UNIX.  I am not
worried that the file won't execute, I just want to be able to de-.hqx
the binhexed files and look at them without downloading them to home.

Anybody know the UNIX command to unwrap .hqx files like this?

Thanks,
Chris Magnuson
chrism@col.hp.com

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (08/15/90)

In article <23320003@col.hp.com> chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) writes:

>What UNIX command do you use to un-.hqx a Mac file under UNIX.  I am not
>worried that the file won't execute, I just want to be able to de-.hqx
>the binhexed files and look at them without downloading them to home.
>
>Anybody know the UNIX command to unwrap .hqx files like this?

The program that you want that will run under UNIX is "mcvert". It isn't really
a "UNIX command" since it doesn't come with the UNIX OS.

Note though that after de-binhexing the files, If they have come off the net,
they are usually stuffed as well. I beleive that they can be unstuffed by using
"unsit". I personally don't do this as leaving them stuffed makes it easier to
download to the mac where they can then be unstuffed.

Hope this helps

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM