[comp.sys.mac.comm] TCP/Connect Product Review

lloyd@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Lloyd W. Taylor) (08/16/90)

owen@raven.phys.washington.edu (Russell Owen) writes:

>InterCon Systems Corp. 703-709-9890, offers a commercial product which
>reads news, handles mail, and has ftp and telnet. It's called TCP/Connect
>II, and lists for $500. We're considering buying it. Does anybody have any
>experience with it? It seem very expensive, but if it's well written maybe
>it'd be worth the cost.

We use TCP/Connect II quite heavily here (somewhere around 100 Macs
here are so equipped), and are quite pleased with it.

It's grown quite a bit since it's initial incarnation as NCSA Telnet.
(Trivia note:  Gaige Paulsen, who now works for InterCon, was one of
the authors of NCSA Telnet way back when in his undergrad days.)
They've added alot of functionality, and really cleaned up the code.

The basic terminal emulation functions support vt52/102/241, Tektronix,
and IBM3278-n protocols.  Missing, but planned for a future release, is
IBM3179 color graphics support.  (My favorite trick to demonstrate its
power to the IBM types around here is to cut and paste between
simultaneous MVS, VM, Unix, VMS, and Mac windows.  That usually gets
their attention!)

FTP is supported, in both client and server modes.  The server modes
can be configured to off, secure (userid/password required), anonymous
(with optional folder restrictions), and promiscuous (anything goes!).
The client mode uses a Font/DA Mover style dialog, allowing you to
point and click to transfer files from most remote hosts (including MVS
and VM hosts equipped with appropriate ethernet hardware).  Personally,
I use the "delete" button on the FTP Client dialog to deal with my
files on the local VM host, rather than trying to remember the wierd
"dirm" and "filel" commands on VM itself!

The News menu allows you to connect to an arbitrary number of news
servers (one at a time), and keeps a separate active file for each one.
It presents the user with a very nice point and click interface into
the available news.  It also has a powerful regexp capability for
subject and author parsing.  (You can turn my postings blue, autodelete
someone else's, etc.)  "rn-style" power keys are supported, so that you
died-in-the-wool Unix types won't have to learn to use a mouse :-).

Mail is nicely implemented, and comes with a simple POP2 server daemon
for your local Unix mailserver.  We were unable to get the supplied
server to work on our Ultrix 3.1 system, but had no trouble using the
TCP/Connect client with another PD POP server.  One can send a file to
another TCP/Connect user, and the file will be uuencoded, split to
files small enough to make it through your mail system, recombined at
the far end, and uudecoded back to a binary file.  Reply and forward
commands are available, as is a "refile" command to store your mail on
the local mac disk.  There is a built-in client for some sort of mail
user nameserver (I think it's the "ph" server), but we haven't looked
into that.

Configuration is via a Control Panel style interface.  Because of the
many capabilities of the package, it can be complex, and not for the
novice Mac user.  We keep a basic configuration file on one of the
local Appleshare servers so that our new users can just take our
defaults for most things, and be up and running quickly.

Documentation is good, but sparse.  You'll need to have someone around
who can explain some of the networking stuff that the manual assumes
you know.

There are a few rough edges.  For example, starting up the News client
for the first time on a full-feed server can hang your mac, as the poor
application runs out of memory trying to build the active file.  Just
make the partition about 4 megs the first time you try it to solve
this.  After the first time, you can reset it to a 1 Meg partition.

In general, telephone customer support is quite good, although email
support has been somewhat sporadic.  Their customer support address is
via uunet, and mail sometimes appears to get lost.  Sending the same
message a couple of times generally gets a response, and often a fix.

There are substantial discounts for large quantity orders, and (I
believe) you can buy only the pieces of functionality you want.  If you
don't need IBM emulation, you can reduce your cost by not buying that
part.

Bottom line:  it's a very good product, and the next release should be
excellent.  There's alot of power packed into this package.

-- Lloyd Taylor
   Telecomm/Networking Manager
   Johns Hopkins University
   Applied Physics Lab.