[comp.sys.mac.comm] new mac user: need help with mac comm

daryl@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Daryl P. Sawders) (08/19/90)

As a new user in the MAC world I am trying to learn how to use
the MAC for communications via modem.  Does anybody have
anything that would explain what is needed in the MAC environ??

Do you have to have a Hayes compatible modem ??

We were trying a modem made by BlackBox that requires a ^E to get
the attention of the modem.  We tried everything under the sun and
couldn't get it to work....  how do you know if you're cabled
correctly ???

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  :-)

Thanks in advance,

  - Daryl -

mel@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Melchior A. Meilchen) (08/20/90)

In article <29646@unix.cis.pitt.edu> daryl@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Daryl P. Sawders) writes:
>couldn't get it to work....  how do you know if you're cabled
>correctly ???

Get Tech Note No 065, available at sumex. If you haven't ftp-d files from
sumex yet, find a Mac Guru that will tell you how.

>Thanks in advance,

You welcome.

daven@svc.portal.com (08/21/90)

In article <29646@unix.cis.pitt.edu> daryl@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Daryl P. Sawders) writes:
>As a new user in the MAC world I am trying to learn how to use
>the MAC for communications via modem.  Does anybody have
>anything that would explain what is needed in the MAC environ??
>
>Do you have to have a Hayes compatible modem ??
>
>We were trying a modem made by BlackBox that requires a ^E to get
>the attention of the modem.  We tried everything under the sun and
>couldn't get it to work....  how do you know if you're cabled
>correctly ???
>
>Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.  :-)

First off, if you can, find a modem that is Hayes compatible. You'll probably
save yourself alot of trouble if you do. Not that the modem you have is a
bad one, but most comm products, reference materials, and friendly types
hanging around to help you, understand Hayes compatible modems.

For the Mac environment you'll need:

o A Mac modem cable (DIN-8 to DB-25 for all Macs except Mac 512KE and older.
   Older Macs need a DB-9 to DB-25)

o Hayes compatible modem
o Start with a shareware comm package. I'd recommend ZTerm or FreeTerm.

After you get up and running, you'll learn from others what you want in
comm package. If you find that what you have is okay, then stick with it.
If you want more (scripting), then there are some good commercial packages
to choose from.

Dave

Dave Newman - Sofware Ventures        | daven@svc.portal.com | AppleLink: D0025
Berkeley, CA  (415) 644-3232          | AOL: MicroPhone      | CIS: 76004,2161