[comp.sys.mac.comm] Videotex comm. package for Mac wanted

johan@dutnak2..tudelft.nl (jcSS) (08/19/90)

Recently, the Dutch can do their banking (transferring money etc.) via
a modem connection with a central mainframe. This seems to work with
the so-called videotex protocol. I have a number of questions:

-	The SmartCom communications package from Hayes supposedly
	supports this protocol.  My modem is Hayes compatible, but
	does SmartCom work with a modem that is not manufactured
	by Hayes?

-	Does SmartCom indeed support this protocol?

-	Is there an other cheap Macintosh communications software that
	supports the videotex protocol? There is a British package
	called Vicom but that sells for $400 here !!

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics & Acoustics             Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
--

mbarton@nyx.UUCP (Michael Barton) (08/21/90)

In article <johan.651068244@dutnak2> johan@dutnak2..tudelft.nl (jcSS) writes:
>[...]
>
>-	Is there an other cheap Macintosh communications software that
>	supports the videotex protocol? There is a British package
>	called Vicom but that sells for $400 here !!

There is a shareware program called Term-Plus from a Guy (Group?, Company?)
called PEEK[65] which I recently downloaded from Compuserve.  It supports
what it calls the VIDTEX terminal type.  It works well with Compuserve.

Hope you can use the information

Michael Barton