[comp.sys.mac.comm] bizarre screen font with White Knight and VAX?

ireland@ac.dal.ca (08/19/90)

I use White Knight to connect to a VAX running VMS. Sometimes I accidently
try to look at a "SIT" or other binary file with the type command. After
doing this the display on my mac goes kind of wild until I cancel the
command. At this point, sometimes the text that is echoed back to my
mac has changed to something bizarre.  The VAX understands this bizarre
font and carries out the command correctly and displays text correctly.
The problem does not appear to be with the VAX, because the the problem
only disappears after restarting White Knight. I'd appreciate an explanation
of what's happening here. Also, is there a way to fix the problem without
having to quit and restart White Knight?

Thanks,  Keith   Keith@ac.dal.ca

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (08/19/90)

In article <1871@ac.dal.ca> ireland@ac.dal.ca writes:
>I use White Knight to connect to a VAX running VMS. Sometimes I accidently
>try to look at a "SIT" or other binary file with the type command.
> [...] At this point, sometimes the text that is echoed back to my
>mac has changed to something bizarre.  The VAX understands this bizarre
>font and carries out the command correctly and displays text correctly.
> [...] is there a way to fix the problem without having to quit and restart?

I assume you're using VT terminal emulation.

The VT terminals have the capability to switch from standard ASCII to any
of several other character sets. The computer to which the terminal is
connected can control the character set by sending certain character
sequences to the terminal. When you accidentally try to read a binary
file, the file may happen to contain one of these sequences, which the
terminal will pick up and respond to.

The simplest way to fix this problem in White Knight is to click Reset
Terminal in the Customize:VT Modes dialog.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (08/24/90)

>I use White Knight to connect to a VAX running VMS. Sometimes I
>accidently try to look at a "SIT" or other binary file with the
>type command. After doing this the display on my mac goes kind of wild

	If you are using Vt100, you could be confusing the terminal
	with all the binary data. Under Customize is Vt-100 modes (
	when in Vt100) that has a button (and other Vt100 settings) that
	will allow you to reset the terminal Perhaps that will solve your
	problem. Course the simple thing is to avoid viewing binary files.
	But I guess that happens sometimes..
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.