[comp.sys.mac.comm] Tek emulation via modem?

fleabag@athena.mit.edu (jeff bellsey) (08/29/90)

is there a communication package that allows Tektronix 4010 (or other Tek)
emulation?

i believe ncsa Telnet does Tek windows, but i am not connected via ethernet.

any help is very much appreciated.

:jeff bellsey
fleabag@athena.mit.edu

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.172930.21800@athena.mit.edu> fleabag@athena.mit.edu (jeff bellsey) writes:
>is there a communication package that allows Tektronix 4010 (or other Tek)
>emulation?

VersaTerm and VersaTerm PRO

--
   "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine,
    but it is queerer than we can imagine."  J.B.S. Haldane

mel@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Melchior A. Meilchen) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.172930.21800@athena.mit.edu> fleabag@athena.mit.edu (jeff bellsey) writes:
>is there a communication package that allows Tektronix 4010 (or other Tek)
>emulation?

Yes, there is VersaTerm (4014) and Versa-Term Pro (40xx)

Excellent programs, and cheap.

The only minus is that they don't have zmodem.

gbr@cypress.UUCP ( PROM Design) (08/30/90)

In article <6243@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> mel@jhunix.UUCP (Melchior A. Meilchen) writes:
>In article <1990Aug28.172930.21800@athena.mit.edu> fleabag@athena.mit.edu (jeff bellsey) writes:
>>is there a communication package that allows Tektronix 4010 (or other Tek)
>>emulation?
>
>Yes, there is VersaTerm (4014) and Versa-Term Pro (40xx)
>
>Excellent programs, and cheap.
                         ^^^^^?!?!?!

>The only minus is that they don't have zmodem.

I don't know about you, but I don't consider $295 for a telecommunications
program "cheap". Versa-Term Pro is a nice package, and its TEK emulation
is the best I've seen, but I'll continue to use WK until the price of
Versa-Term comes down.

glen rosendale			cypress semiconductor

nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (08/30/90)

> I don't know about you, but I don't consider $295 for a telecommunications
> program "cheap". Versa-Term Pro is a nice package, and its TEK emulation
> is the best I've seen, but I'll continue to use WK until the price of
> Versa-Term comes down.

VersaTerm and VersaTerm-PRO are separate products.  The -PRO version
adds Tektronix 4105 emulation and the ability to copy the graphics
screens in MacDraw format rather than just as a bitmap.  They both
have the same super vt100, vt220, and Tek 4014 emulation, a great
upgrade policy, and support the Communications Toolbox.

Prices?  MacConnection shows

	VersaTerm	 88
	VersaTerm-PRO	174
	White Knight	 85

Charles Allen			Internet: cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu
Department of Physics			  nvi@mace.cc.purdue.edu
Purdue University		HEPnet:   purdnu::allen, fnal::cca
West Lafayette, IN  47907	talknet:  317/494-9776