[comp.sys.mac.comm] Transferring files between VMS and Mac

rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) (08/30/90)

Howdy!

	I recently lost access to my local Unix machine, and with it my
access to the Zmodem programs sz and rz.  Instead, I am confined to a VMS
system, which has Kermit on it.  Needless to say, after the blazing
transfer speeds of Zmodem, I find it painful to watch Kermit plunk along.

	Is there a public-domain Zmodem transfer program available
somewhere that will run on VMS?  Or, failing that, one that runs Xmodem
(after all, half a loaf...)?

A frustrated downloader,

Warren J. Madden
rabbit@eddie.mit.edu

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.164855.436@eddie.mit.edu> rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) writes:
>Howdy!

[...]
>access to the Zmodem programs sz and rz.  Instead, I am confined to a VMS
>system, which has Kermit on it.  Needless to say, after the blazing

[...]
>	Is there a public-domain Zmodem transfer program available
>somewhere that will run on VMS?  Or, failing that, one that runs Xmodem

The sources for rz and sz will compile and run quite happily on VMS.
At least the rzsz3 versions.

cc sz
link sz

cc rz
link rz

sz :== $ some$disk:sz.exe
rz :== $ some$disk:rz.exe

>A frustrated downloader,
>
>Warren J. Madden
>rabbit@eddie.mit.edu

jim
--
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

rabbit@eddie.mit.edu (Warren J. Madden) (09/05/90)

Greetings!

	My thanks to all those who responded to my question about a
public-domain Zmodem program for VMS, both with answers and requests for
the info.  I did indeed find that the zmodem program stored on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu (in the directory info-mac/unix) supports VMS.  Just
look in the source files sz.c and rz.c to see how to do the compiles.
Unfortunately, the files on sumex are stored in shar format, so one must
either (a) unpack them manually, (b) find an unshar utility for VMS, or (c)
find a friend with access to a UNIX system.  It sure is good to have my
fast transfers back!

A much happier downloader,

Warren J. Madden
rabbit@eddie.mit.edu