[comp.sys.mac.comm] Laserwriter/Ethertalk box

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (08/31/90)

About three weeks ago I saw a couple of ads for a new Ethertalk box that
has just one Appletalk port.  You hook it up to an Ethernet on one side,
and a Laserwriter on the other, and anybody using Ethertalk can send
stuff to the printer.  It cost $500, a lot cheaper than full fledged
routers.  I did not pay much attention to it at the time, but now I want
one, and can't find the ad.  Does anybody remember this?  (Who makes it,
etc.....

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (09/03/90)

In article <185@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M.
Cohill) writes:
> About three weeks ago I saw a couple of ads for a new Ethertalk box that
> has just one Appletalk port.  You hook it up to an Ethernet on one side,
> and a Laserwriter on the other, and anybody using Ethertalk can send
> stuff to the printer.  It cost $500, a lot cheaper than full fledged
> routers.  I did not pay much attention to it at the time, but now I want
> one, and can't find the ad.  Does anybody remember this?  (Who makes it,
> etc.....
Sounds useful. I'd like to here more as well...

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

reedp@horus.cem.msu.EDU (Paul Reed) (09/05/90)

From article <185@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, by cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill):
> About three weeks ago I saw a couple of ads for a new Ethertalk box that
> has just one Appletalk port.  You hook it up to an Ethernet on one side,
> and a Laserwriter on the other, and anybody using Ethertalk can send
> stuff to the printer.  It cost $500, a lot cheaper than full fledged
> routers.  I did not pay much attention to it at the time, but now I want
> one, and can't find the ad.  Does anybody remember this?  (Who makes it,
> etc.....

The box you are thinking of is the EtherPrint box from Dayna Communications,
and it does just what you said it does.  There is a review of it in the
August 7 issue of MacWEEK.  The phone number for Dayna Communications is
(801) 531-0600.

Paul Reed                               Internet: reedp@horus.cem.msu.edu
119 Chemistry Bldg.                               reedp@frith.egr.msu.edu
Michigan State University               BITNET: REEDP@MSUCEM
East Lansing, MI 48824                  Phone: (517) 353-3970

mikek@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Kranzdorf) (09/05/90)

In article <1990Sep2.202636.25490@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>In article <185@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M.
>Cohill) writes:
>> About three weeks ago I saw a couple of ads for a new Ethertalk box that
>> has just one Appletalk port.  You hook it up to an Ethernet on one side,
>> and a Laserwriter on the other, and anybody using Ethertalk can send
>> stuff to the printer.  It cost $500, a lot cheaper than full fledged
>> routers.  I did not pay much attention to it at the time, but now I want
>> one, and can't find the ad.  Does anybody remember this?  (Who makes it,
>> etc.....

Dayna Communications Inc. is advertising the EtherPrint box for $499.
I assume this is the box in question. Their number is (801) 531-0203
The ad I'm looking at is on page 120 of MacWEEK 7 August 1990.

--mikek

internet: mikek@boulder.colorado.edu
uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!mikek
AppleLink: oblio