[comp.sys.mac.comm] Telecom Software

Sonny.Shrivastava@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (09/02/90)

I just bought Microphone II 3.0 for my new Hayes Ultra 96 modem.  The
software is good, but I find the screen response to be VERY slow (I have a
IIci).  I often find myself typing ahead of the display.

I used ZTERM, and like its screen response, but I don't like the way the
software works - not as nice and clean like Microphone II.  I heard some
stuff on Smartcom II, but it doesn't have ZMODEM protocol.

Could I get suggestions from anyone on which telecommunications program is
good, both in terms of quick screen response and functionality?  What have
your experiences been with various telecom software?  Thanks!

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!444!Sonny.Shrivastava

]) (09/05/90)

In article <6893.26E3510E@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> Sonny.Shrivastava@f444.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) writes:
>I just bought Microphone II 3.0 for my new Hayes Ultra 96 modem.  The
>software is good, but I find the screen response to be VERY slow (I have a
>IIci).  I often find myself typing ahead of the display.
>[...]

I was bamboozled by a "slow crawl" on my IIci in VersaTerm right
after I installed a 24-Bit video card.  Now, when I want quick
text scrolling, I hop into Monitors and switch to 16-Colors from
"Millions" and it looks very nice and smooth.  If you're running
with a Millions-of-colors board and it's the text-on-screen that
is running slowly, try switching the color-display down.

This could have *nothing* to do with what you're describing, but
I was delighted to find this trick.

...Kris
--
Kristopher Stephens, | (408-746-6047) | krs@uts.amdahl.com | KC6DFS
Amdahl Corporation   |                |                    |

hammen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Robert Hammen) (09/08/90)

>I just bought Microphone II 3.0 for my new Hayes Ultra 96 modem.  The
>software is good, but I find the screen response to be VERY slow (I have a
>IIci).  I often find myself typing ahead of the display.

I've never conducted any "scientific" tests to prove this, but it's always
been my perception that VersaTerm and VersaTerm-PRO have the best throughput/
screen update speeds of all the Mac comm. programs I've used. My biggest
gripe with VersaTerm is that it doesn't directly support Zmodem file transfers.
I argued this point over a year ago with Lonnie Abelbeck, the author, and he
seemed dead-set against implementing it. VersaTerm 4.1 and VersaTerm-PRO 3.1
do support Apple's Communication Toolbox, so it would be possible for
someone to write a Zmodem tool (though I don't know how efficient it would be).

As an aside, I recommend that if you're using a color machine, switch to 1-bit
video (using something like Switch-A-Roo) when doing a lot of interactive
telecom - color slows things down a lot...

/ Robert Hammen | Macintosh enthusiast & publishing guru, looking for a job /
/ hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com | 70701.2104@compuserve.com | GEnie: R.HAMMEN        /

baumgart@esquire.dpw.com (Steve Baumgarten) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep08.125615.14907@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, hammen@ddsw1 (Robert Hammen) writes:
>I've never conducted any "scientific" tests to prove this, but it's always
>been my perception that VersaTerm and VersaTerm-PRO have the best throughput/
>screen update speeds of all the Mac comm. programs I've used. My biggest
>gripe with VersaTerm is that it doesn't directly support Zmodem file transfers.
>I argued this point over a year ago with Lonnie Abelbeck, the author, and he
>seemed dead-set against implementing it. VersaTerm 4.1 and VersaTerm-PRO 3.1
>do support Apple's Communication Toolbox, so it would be possible for
>someone to write a Zmodem tool (though I don't know how efficient it would be).

The old MacTerminal did pretty well, too.  I wonder whether 3.0 will
be as good at keeping the screen updated.

Do you know why Lonnie doesn't want to support ZMODEM?  That's really
my only gripe with Versaterm, though I can certainly live with YMODEM.

Somehow I won't hold my breath waiting for the ZMODEM CT tool.  Who's
going to write it?  What incentive do they have, unless it's just
because they want to do the whole Mac community a favor?

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."