[comp.sys.mac.comm] appletalk problem? Maybe a solution?

cth_larsen@tekno.chalmers.se (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep5.204943.6690@midway.uchicago.edu>, rfl@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Bob Loewenstein) writes:
> My Mac II has developed a problem. I was away for two weeks and came back to
> find my Mac unable to locate anyone on the appletalk net, including the
> laserwriter and LQ imagewriter. However, It is able to talk to our SUN via
> Telnet 2.3 via appletalk and a Kinetics Box. I've placed new copies of
> 'appletalk' and printer driver software in my system folder. I've gotten rid of
> all INITS and CDEVS.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Another machine
> plugged into my appletalk connector works just fine.

***
Try booting with the ORIGINAL system and drivers from a floppy. See if you can
gain access to the restarted on-line printers on your LocalTalk network. If
you can, then the problem is probably a corrupt system or that the printers
needed to be reinitilaized. I you can't , then the problem is most certainly
due to a bad communications port on the logical board of your Macintosh.

I had the same problem on Macintosh SE/FDHD and Apple Sweden had to replace
the whole logical board. My expericnce was that when I tried to choose a
printer (any of our 3 NTXs) using "Chooser" the SE just stopped and refused to
responed to anything but a reset. I encountered this problem when the SE
wouldn't continue the start-up routine when it came to the Responder INIT.

Hope the above is a solution.

/ Arthur T. Larsen   Chalmers Industriteknik   Chalmers Technical Park
                     S - 412 88  GOTHENBURG    SWEDEN
                     phone: + 46 - 31 - 72 40 25
                     E-Mail: larsen@cit.chalmers.se                          /
$EOM$