[comp.sys.mac.comm] Adaptec Nodem and TCP/IP

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (09/06/90)

Has anyone had experience using Adaptec's Nodem and NCSA Telnet?
(This is a SCSI EtherTalk device.)
I can only get it to work with VERY poor response time and am
wondering if I am doing something wrong.

I have tried both Telnet 2.3 MacTCP and Telnet 2.3 with internal TCP/IP
drivers.  And my Eudora email program, which worked beautifully
with an EtherPort adapter, gives a MacTCP Receive Buffer Pointing To 0
error message with the Nodem or times out after 20 seconds of no response.

I'm running system 6.0.4 on an SE and the internal hard disk is
the only other SCSI device.  (I have a SCSI terminator on the
second Nodem SCSI connector.)

Any help would be appreciated!
-- Sue

Sue Klefstad                      |  "Things are more like they are now
Ill. Natural History Survey       |   than they ever were before."
Internet:  s-klefstad@uiuc.edu    |      -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.213250.21521@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
(Sue Klefstad) writes:
> Has anyone had experience using Adaptec's Nodem and NCSA Telnet?
> (This is a SCSI EtherTalk device.)
> I can only get it to work with VERY poor response time and am
> wondering if I am doing something wrong.
>
> I have tried both Telnet 2.3 MacTCP and Telnet 2.3 with internal TCP/IP
> drivers.  And my Eudora email program, which worked beautifully
> with an EtherPort adapter, gives a MacTCP Receive Buffer Pointing To 0
> error message with the Nodem or times out after 20 seconds of no response.
>
> I'm running system 6.0.4 on an SE and the internal hard disk is
> the only other SCSI device.  (I have a SCSI terminator on the
> second Nodem SCSI connector.)
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
> -- Sue

Sounds like you have an old version of their EtherTalk driver.  Take a look
at the version number and let me know I will check it against ours.  We use
the Nodem around here and find that it's a very good piece of hardware.

--
Kurt Baumann
703.709.9890

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (09/07/90)

In article <26E670E1.1B80@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>In article <1990Sep5.213250.21521@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
>(Sue Klefstad) writes:
>> Has anyone had experience using Adaptec's Nodem and NCSA Telnet?
>> (This is a SCSI EtherTalk device.)
>> I can only get it to work with VERY poor response time and am
>> wondering if I am doing something wrong.

We tried it, and had the same problems. We now use Ether+ instead, and it
seems to work well (using MacTCP set to server and bootp hangs Telnet, but
otherwise no problems).

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

clay@iti.org (Clay A. Maeckel) (09/08/90)

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>Has anyone had experience using Adaptec's Nodem and NCSA Telnet?
>(This is a SCSI EtherTalk device.)
>I can only get it to work with VERY poor response time and am
>wondering if I am doing something wrong.

Two of us here at Claris use Nodems and MacTCP verison of NCSA Telnet 2.3
on a MacPlus with a HD20 (non-SCSI disk). We don't have any problems with
them after we got the Phase II software. The verison number on the disk
we got from Adaptec is E428 and we have to use the Opt. B version of the
driver because of the Pluses.

Actually we are having one problem with this setup, AppleTalk version 53
has a bug in it that won't allow FileMaker to work correctly across the network
on Macs that have the 128K ROMs. A one byte patch to the .XPP driver fixes
the problem.

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL

tel@adimail.UUCP (Terry Monks) (09/10/90)

You are trying to debug a CTB program and things bomb, BUT you have already opened a
connection, so that when you restart the program, you get the message "Sorry-the serial
port is not available" (mutatis mutandis). So, how do you "grab" the serial port away.
[Without rebooting, that is...]

I understand that this might be an anti-social thing to do, but I promise I will only
do it while debugging, ok?

--
Terry Monks        Automata Design Inc    (703) 472-9400