[comp.sys.mac.comm] vt220 terminal emulation over telnet

rex@nbc1.ge.com (Rex Espiritu) (09/05/90)

We use NCSA Telnet v2.3 on our Macs here.  We also have Ultrix applications
that utilize vt220 terminal specific features.

Is there a vt220 emulation for NCSA Telnet?  Are there any products available
that would enable us to telnet from our Macs w/ vt220 terminal emulation?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
--
M. Rex Espiritu, Jr.                      NBC News, A Division of
rex@nbc1.NBC.GE.COM                       National Broadcasting Company, Inc.

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.155606.24751@nbc1.ge.com> rex@nbc1.GE.COM (Rex Espiritu) writes:
>Are there any products available
>that would enable us to telnet from our Macs w/ vt220 terminal emulation?

You might consider MacTerminal 3.0, which supports the Communications Toolbox
and is Connection Manager, Terminal Manager and File Transfer Manager
compliant (which means you can add new connection terminal and file transfer
support)

It comes with support for async serial and modem connections, tty, vt102 and
vt320 terminal emulations, and text and xmodem file transfers.

there is a TCP/IP connection tool available from Advanced Software Concepts
that provides TCP/IP and Telnet support in addition to providing a FTP server
also.  There are at least two other companies that I know of that are working
on TCP/IP or Telnet connection tools.

There is another company working on two file transfer tools - Kermit and
ZMODEM - these should be released sometime this fall.

Hope this helps.

This is not an advertisement for MacTerminal 3.0.  I have no connection
with Advanced Software Concepts except as a satisfied customer.
This is not an official Apple statement or endorsement.

Byron Han

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/07/90)

writes:
> We use NCSA Telnet v2.3 on our Macs here.  We also have Ultrix applications
> that utilize vt220 terminal specific features.
>
> Is there a vt220 emulation for NCSA Telnet?  Are there any products available
> that would enable us to telnet from our Macs w/ vt220 terminal emulation?
>
> Any info would be greatly appreciated.
> --

TCP/Connect II provides VT240/241 emulation as well as TN3270, and Tek 4014.
Other applications supported are NNTP, finger, SLIP, SMTP/POP, FTP, etc...

InterCon Telnet Driver will allow you to use Microphone II, VersaTerm Pro,
and HP Business Session (TymLabs) over a telnet session.

There are several TCP ctb Tools that are either on the market or are coming
out soon, so keep your eyes open.

That is about it.
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (09/07/90)

In article <10074@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) writes:
>In article <1990Sep5.155606.24751@nbc1.ge.com> rex@nbc1.GE.COM (Rex Espiritu) writes:
>>Are there any products available
>>that would enable us to telnet from our Macs w/ vt220 terminal emulation?
>>
>You might consider MacTerminal 3.0, which supports the Communications Toolbox
>and is Connection Manager, Terminal Manager and File Transfer Manager
>compliant (which means you can add new connection terminal and file transfer
>support)

Does the VT tools support printer redirection (ESC [ 5 i  and  ESC [ 4 i)?

--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

leonardr@svc.portal.com (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep7.075255.10599@lth.se> roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) writes:
>In article <10074@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) writes:
>>You might consider MacTerminal 3.0, which supports the Communications Toolbox
>>and is Connection Manager, Terminal Manager and File Transfer Manager
>>compliant (which means you can add new connection terminal and file transfer
>>support)
>
>Does the VT tools support printer redirection (ESC [ 5 i  and  ESC [ 4 i)?

	Not unless they have changed their opinions about text stream
printing on the Macintosh.  When Apple first announced the CTB, one of the
first questions I asked was this one, and the responce at the time was NO WAY
(followed by lots of implementation reasons that I won't go into).  This
applies to _ALL_ of the print related VTxxx sequences.

	I agree with you that this is a BIG problem for many, which is why I
pushed Apple to at least THINK about it.  One of my original proposals, which
would be useful for other things, would be a 'callback' mechanism so that tools
could let the application know that it encounted something that it didn't know
about and 'Do you want to handle it?'.  You could do this on the FRONT END to
the tool, but inserting your own search strings for these sequences into the
Connection Manager, but then you have to write the application...

Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures
MicroPhone II Development Team

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep9.211520.3965@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com writes:
>In article <1990Sep7.075255.10599@lth.se> roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) writes:
>>In article <10074@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) writes:
>>>You might consider MacTerminal 3.0, which supports the Communications Toolbox
>>>and is Connection Manager, Terminal Manager and File Transfer Manager
>>>compliant (which means you can add new connection terminal and file transfer
>>>support)
>>
>>Does the VT tools support printer redirection (ESC [ 5 i  and  ESC [ 4 i)?
>>
>	Not unless they have changed their opinions about text stream
>printing on the Macintosh.  When Apple first announced the CTB, one of the
>first questions I asked was this one, and the responce at the time was NO WAY
>(followed by lots of implementation reasons that I won't go into).  This
>applies to _ALL_ of the print related VTxxx sequences.

Unfortunately, you're right. I got mail (THANKS!) from Tom Dowdy@apple:
   Short simple answer - no they do not.

I'll hope they fix it to the next release.

--

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep9.211520.3965@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com writes:
>	Not unless they have changed their opinions about text stream
>printing on the Macintosh.  When Apple first announced the CTB, one of the
>first questions I asked was this one, and the responce at the time was NO WAY
>(followed by lots of implementation reasons that I won't go into).  This
>applies to _ALL_ of the print related VTxxx sequences.

The problem is that low level print streaming is not looked upon favorably
(this is the current Party Line comrades!)

The idea of using a callback (or callbacks) is being investigated.  The
CommToolbox should be considered to be a living architecture and will
undergo enhancements/modifications.  Input from the developer community
will definitely by entertained (this is not a promise to implement, just
a promise to listen)

Byron Han
CommToolbox Scapegoat