[comp.sys.mac.comm] RJ11 ==> French phone jack adapter

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (09/11/90)

Try calling the manufacturer of your portable (or Toshiba, whichever comes
first ;^>) and ask them for the part, or conversly, for the fax number of their
european distributor, who should be able to help.  Luck!

laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) (09/11/90)

My boss is taking a MacPortable with a FAX/Data modem to Nice in a few
weeks. I've been trying to find a source for an adapter to allow him to
use a RJ11 plug with a French phone jack (I'm just assuming I'll need
one, and I can't really send him with wire strippers and a soldering
gun.)  I'm not having any luck with sources like the French consulate
or travel agencies. Can anyone point me to a US source for such an
adapter ... or at least in the right direction?

Thanks much.

	Mick Laver
	mlaver@ucsd.edu

alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (09/11/90)

In article <343@siodo.UCSD.EDU> laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
> My boss is taking a MacPortable with a FAX/Data modem to Nice in a few
> weeks. I've been trying to find a source for an adapter to allow him to
> use a RJ11 plug with a French phone jack (I'm just assuming I'll need
> one, and I can't really send him with wire strippers and a soldering
> gun.)  I'm not having any luck with sources like the French consulate
> or travel agencies. Can anyone point me to a US source for such an
> adapter ... or at least in the right direction?
>
> Thanks much.
>
>         Mick Laver
>         mlaver@ucsd.edu

The reason you can't find one is because the phone systems are entirely
different. As far as I recall (from the days I worked on Apple's Portable
Modem 2400), Japan, Canada, and the US are similar, everybody else is
different from that. You'd need a French modem. Apple makes a Portable
Modem 2400 for foreign countries that takes an intelligent adaptor
specific to the country. You might want to buy one over there, especially
if they do make a US adaptor.

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alexr@apple.com      - Yoyodyne    -
-  330 1/2 Waverley St.    - UUCP:ucbvax!apple!alexr        - Propulsion  -
-  Palo Alto, CA 94301     -                                - Systems     -
-  (415) 329-8463          - Nobody is my employer so       - :-)         -
-  (408) 974-3110          - nobody cares what I say.       -             -

boissier@irisa.irisa.fr (franck boissiere,externes ) (09/13/90)

From article <10148@goofy.Apple.COM>, by alexr@apple.com (Alexander M. Rosenberg):
> In article <343@siodo.UCSD.EDU> laver@siodo.UCSD.EDU (Mick Laver) writes:
>> My boss is taking a MacPortable with a FAX/Data modem to Nice in a few
>> weeks. I've been trying to find a source for an adapter to allow him to
>> use a RJ11 plug with a French phone jack (I'm just assuming I'll need
>> one, and I can't really send him with wire strippers and a soldering
>> gun.)  I'm not having any luck with sources like the French consulate
>> or travel agencies. Can anyone point me to a US source for such an
>> adapter ... or at least in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks much.
>>
>>         Mick Laver
>>         mlaver@ucsd.edu
>
> The reason you can't find one is because the phone systems are entirely
> different. As far as I recall (from the days I worked on Apple's Portable
> Modem 2400), Japan, Canada, and the US are similar, everybody else is
> different from that. You'd need a French modem. Apple makes a Portable
> Modem 2400 for foreign countries that takes an intelligent adaptor
> specific to the country. You might want to buy one over there, especially
> if they do make a US adaptor.

Not exactly true. The basic telephony functions are the same, eg DTMF
dialing ringing voltage, not the dial tones. Thus you may with the correct
wiring, phone, send and receive faxes, but if you want to talk to a modem
(eg dial in a computer) you ought to make sure that both ends understand
each other. So if you want to call US, Japan or Canada with your device
that's fine but you won't be able to get connection with a French installed
modem.
--
Franck BOISSIERE                        boissier@irisa.irisa.fr
Prototyping Lab Manager                 boissier@ccettix.UUCP