[comp.sys.mac.comm] Public Folder: switching between EtherTalk and Local

simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike) (09/14/90)

I am using v1.0 of Public Folder and have found that we must boot up on
the appropriate network (EtherTalk or the Built-in LocalTalk) for Public
Folder to be seen.  If a different network is chosen using the Network cdev,
Public Folder cannot be seen on any of the networks.  Is there a way, other
than rebooting, to make Public Folder visible on the network following a
change through the Network cdev?
The experiments are on Mac IIx's with Ethernet cards.
Thanks,
-------------------
W. Simon Tortike,                     | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical         | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,      | CA*net : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.         | CA*net : simon@mmpe.mineral.UAlberta.CA

peirce@claris.com (Michael Peirce) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep14.141211.14113@cs.UAlberta.CA> simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) writes:
>I am using v1.0 of Public Folder and have found that we must boot up on
>the appropriate network (EtherTalk or the Built-in LocalTalk) for Public
>Folder to be seen.  If a different network is chosen using the Network cdev,
>Public Folder cannot be seen on any of the networks.  Is there a way, other
>than rebooting, to make Public Folder visible on the network following a
>change through the Network cdev?

Sorry, there isn't even a good workaround for getting Public Folder
back up after switching networks.  PF is still there, but its socket
and name have been clobbered.  It SHOULD check for this occurence, but
it doesn't for now.

 Claris Corp. | Michael R. Peirce (author of Public Folder)