[comp.sys.mac.comm] UUCP on Macintoshes

zickus@udel.edu (RoboTeddy) (09/18/90)

I've been trying to get both UUPC and GNUUCP running on my Mac the past
few days, with little luck.

GNUUCP has a real nice Hypercard front-end for mail, and it took about
10 minutes to set up and configure it.  Once I got it connecting to
uunet however, I keep getting errors in slave mode that "K versus Control
bad in above packet".  From the source code I get the impression that uunet
is trying to use a window size of 1, even though my node asked otherwise.

UUPC doesn't have this problem, as it implements a sliding window protocol,
but I've yet to get it do dial properly using the HAYES-style entry in
the SYSTEMS file.

It's tempting to try and mash the two working pieces of these two systems
together and come up with something workable...

Does anyone have any experiences with the above programs that might be
helpful?

   /\         /\         /\                          Tim Zickus
  // \       // \       // \                         Taratec Development Corp.
 ///  \     ///  \     ///  \                        zickus@udel.edu
////   \   ////   \   ////   \                       cqmstez%pccvax@dupont.com
--
RoboTeddy

In article <30734@nigel.ee.udel.edu> zickus@udel.edu (RoboTeddy) writes:
>I've been trying to get both UUPC and GNUUCP running on my Mac the past
>few days, with little luck.
>
>GNUUCP has a real nice Hypercard front-end for mail, and it took about
>10 minutes to set up and configure it.  Once I got it connecting to
>uunet however, I keep getting errors in slave mode that "K versus Control
>bad in above packet".  From the source code I get the impression that uunet
>is trying to use a window size of 1, even though my node asked otherwise.

	What I MEANT to say was uunet's using a window size of 3, even
though I asked otherwise.  This is what I suspect, anyway, given the
behavior of the code... :-(

   /\         /\         /\                          Tim Zickus
  // \       // \       // \                         Taratec Development Corp.
 ///  \     ///  \     ///  \                        zickus@udel.edu
////   \   ////   \   ////   \                       cqmstez%pccvax@dupont.com

zickus@udel.edu (Tim Zickus) (09/18/90)

I've dug a little futher into the gnuucp code, and what scares me is
I actually understand it now... :-)

Interestingly enough, uunet is giving me a packet with a length specifier
of 64 bytes, and a control byte that says this is a control packet.

The control byte is lying, I think. As near as I can tell the data is
getting through to gnuucp without any problems.

I'm in the process of seeing if UUPC has the same difficulty, just as
a sanity check.