[comp.sys.mac.comm] Best UNIX->Mac download utility?

mcw@vesuvius.rice.edu (Michael Wirth) (09/19/90)

I download more stuff than I care to think about from UNIX machines (normally
BSD Suns) over phone line to my Mac (usually running VersaTerm-PRO).  I've
even succeeded in borrowing a 9600b modem (Codex 2264).  But my effective
download speed is terrible:
	~2K using macbput (because of its short packet length)
	~3K using kermit (and that's using long packets -- but with "binary
		quoting" the net speed is reduced to ~2K bps. It's also
		ugly to use)

What's the best download utility for this situation?  Is their a PD ymodem
available?

The info-mac/unix archives at sumex-aim aren't much help.  Suggestions?

Mike Wirth
GeoQuest Intl.
Houston

rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu (Rob Menke) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep18.230524.12628@rice.edu> mcw@vesuvius.rice.edu
(Michael Wirth) writes:

   What's the best download utility for this situation?  Is their a PD ymodem
   available?

   The info-mac/unix archives at sumex-aim aren't much help.  Suggestions?

The zmodem.shar files at sumex-aim actually consist of three utilities:
xmodem, ymodem, and zmodem.  If you can, try using a terminal emulator
that supports zmodem.  It's very efficient.
--
>GIVE COIN TO CHARON			|  Robert Menke
"So educated," giggles the voice in	|    rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu
your ear...				|    ...!ucbvax!OCF!rgm

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (09/19/90)

.
. What's the best download utility for this situation?  Is their a PD ymodem
. available?
.
. The info-mac/unix archives at sumex-aim aren't much help.  Suggestions?
.

Try Zterm on the mac side, and rz/sz on the Unix side.  This setup handles all
our various machines with ease.  Look in the info-mac/comm directory.
Throughput?  On a terminal server, I often hit 95% efficiency, sometimes higher.

Eric
--
Eric Sheppard      Georgia Tech    |   "Of course the US Constitution isn't
Atlanta, GA                        | perfect; but it's a lot better than what

zeke@shamash.cdc.com (Robert Scott) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep18.230524.12628@rice.edu>, mcw@vesuvius.rice.edu (Michael Wirth) writes:
> I download more stuff than I care to think about from UNIX machines (normally
> BSD Suns) over phone line to my Mac (usually running VersaTerm-PRO).  I've
> even succeeded in borrowing a 9600b modem (Codex 2264).  But my effective
> download speed is terrible:
> 	~2K using macbput (because of its short packet length)
> 	~3K using kermit (and that's using long packets -- but with "binary
> 		quoting" the net speed is reduced to ~2K bps. It's also
> 		ugly to use)
>
> What's the best download utility for this situation?  Is their a PD ymodem
> available?

Try zmodem protocols for situations where you have a reliable hardware-
hardware connection, such as an MNP-3 modem, or in your case with the
CODEX (which must be connected to another CODEX, yes?).  I use ZTERM
on my Mac, and have compiled the sz and rz programs from public source
for my SUN.  I regularly get 920-940 characters a second with this
combination.

Zeke

"Congress was about to scuttle our defense department... Could our military
industrial complex be backing Iraq?"  - Kent Borg's Mother, 8-4-90

--
~~~~~~~~~~~ From the Shrine of the "Last Gasp of ETA Systems" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Extra zesty disclaimer:  MINE! MINE! ALL MINE! <chortle snort froth drool>