[comp.sys.mac.comm] Is there UUCP for Mac?

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (09/07/90)

Is there a version of UUCP available for the Mac?  The primary purpose
would be to send/receive email and to send/receive files. Dialing would
be under control of the Mac.  The ability to read/send news is not
required.

Since we don't do any programming on the Mac, what I'm looking for is
a place/company to get complete binaries from.

Thanks in advance.
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!uunet!ki!dwatts                 Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

palkovic@linac.fnal.gov (John A. Palkovic) (09/12/90)

In article <842@ki.UUCP> dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) writes:
>Is there a version of UUCP available for the Mac?  The primary purpose
>would be to send/receive email and to send/receive files. Dialing would
>be under control of the Mac.  The ability to read/send news is not
>required.

There most definitely is. It is available for anonymous ftp from
sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the info-mac/comm directory. The files are:

   172002 Jan 14 1990 ./comm/uupc-20-source.hqx
   112859 Jan 14 1990 ./comm/uupc-20.hqx

I have this running on my mac+ at home. It works fine for email. No
it's not a typo, it is called UUPC but it does UUCP g protocol file
transfers. If you've never written a chat script you will find it
difficult to get working, IMHO.

And now a question: has anyone gotten mail aliases to work in UUPC 2.0
on the mac? I have RTFM, but it is not particularly clear.

--
John Palkovic (708) 840-3527	linac!palkovic, palkovic@linac.fnal.gov
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Dept. of Physics

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (09/13/90)

Binaries and source for GNUucp for the Mac (ported to THINK C) are avaible

Vide infra (thats 'see below' in Algol 60 :-) for more details.

It is of course completly free!

Kevin Purcell          | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | Programming the Macintosh is easy if you understand
Liverpool L69 3BX      | how the Mac works and hard if you don't. -- Dan Allen