[comp.sys.mac.comm] Gatorbox and Sequent - incompatible?

cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) (09/25/90)

Probably incomplete third-hand background info: we have macs which
access unix files by way of AppleShare and a Cayman Gatorbox. Filesystems
on Sun servers were visible as slow mac volumes, and all was well.
Now important file systems have been transferred to a Sequent server,
and the Gatorbox can't get at them.

The person who maintains the Gatorbox claims to have it direct from
Cayman that they cannot mount Sequent filesystems; end of story, case
closed.  But can anyone tell me *why* this should be?  Or better still,
can anyone offer a counterexample of a gatorbox that does work with Sequent
(and how was it done)?

///////   /     David Cortesi            /////// cortesi@infmx.uu.net //////
//////   //                              //                               //
////  / ///     Informix Software        //   Tough times never last,     //
///  / ////     4100 Bohannon Drive      //     but tough people do.      //
//  / /////     Menlo Park, CA  94025    //          -- Joe Morgan        //
/  ////////     (415) 926-6300           //// ...pyramid!infmx!cortesi /////

jim@wvmtrcs.uucp (Jim Prouty) (09/25/90)

In <1990Sep24.224212.21837@informix.com>,
cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) writes:

> Probably incomplete third-hand background info: we have macs which
> access unix files by way of AppleShare and a Cayman Gatorbox. Filesystems
> on Sun servers were visible as slow mac volumes, and all was well.
> Now important file systems have been transferred to a Sequent server,
> and the Gatorbox can't get at them.
>
> The person who maintains the Gatorbox claims to have it direct from
> Cayman that they cannot mount Sequent filesystems; end of story, case
> closed.  But can anyone tell me *why* this should be?  Or better still,
> can anyone offer a counterexample of a gatorbox that does work with Sequent
> (and how was it done)?

Your GatorBox keeper is mistaken; I'm suprised at Cayman, too.
I used to work at QTC where I installed a GatorBox specifically to mount Sequent
filesystems on our Macs.  It also allowed us to mount the Sun's disks, too.

I recall that some trick was necessary to get it to work; something about the
Sequent's lack of RPC support for replying to the GatorBox's request for time and date.
Some permission/access file had to be created on the Sequent's file system so
that the GatorBox could touch the file to get the current time and date.

Once I got it configured, it worked pretty well.  I bugged the tech support
people a lot about the configuration problems, but they handled it pretty well.

--
Jim Prouty "A man is not the sum of his possessions"
WaveMetrics

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/25/90)

In article <1990Sep24.224212.21837@informix.com> cortesi@informix.com (David Cortesi) writes:
>The person who maintains the Gatorbox claims to have it direct from
>Cayman that they cannot mount Sequent filesystems; end of story, case
>closed.  But can anyone tell me *why* this should be?  Or better still,
>can anyone offer a counterexample of a gatorbox that does work with Sequent
>(and how was it done)?

Glad to oblige.  We occasionally mount volumes from our Sequent through our
Gatorbox.  The problem seemed to be that the Sequent refuses to authenticate
users via normal gatorbox methods (ie, exporting the filesystem where
/etc/password and /etc/group reside).  Why or how this could be, I cannot
tell you, as I have not extensively researched the problem.

I have not extensively researched the problem because there is a simple
workaround.  In the server definitions, you are asked where /etc/passwd
and /etc/group are.  The entries are of the form: "host:path".  Well, nobody
said that "host" has to be the same host the filesystems are from.  It's
perfectly fine to get your passwd and group from a host other than the Sequent;
subject, of course, to the caveat that uid's and gid's better match on both
hosts if you want any security at all.

Yellow Pages or pcnfsd might work, too.

I *know* this worked under GatorShare 1.4<something> and Sequent Dynix 3.0.17.
I *think* this worked under GatorShare 1.5, but I don't remember for certain
that we used it under 1.5.  I do not know if it works under 1.5.1beta,
which we are running now (we did a big reconfiguration, and the old setup
is gone).
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner